Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stubs View Post
    Thanks will try that route before I get the toolbox open and invalidate my warranty. Cant believe how little use they have had before the problems set in. Havent got exact numbers but probably not much more than 500 miles though admittedly the weather has been wet, gritty and muddy or icy every ride since I got them.
    Those kind of conditions should have very little effect on your pedals. Chains, cassettes and rings however can wear pretty fast in the grit. Let us know how it goes with Shimano.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stubs View Post
    Need to service my m985s the seals have come out and the right hand pedal has play in it and isnt spinning smoothly. Never stripped a Shimano pedal before which way is the thread on the gold nut. Is it righty tighty lefty loosey on both pedals or is one of the pedals a left hand thread.

Not at all impressed only 4 months of use and need a service might go back to my old battered never touched but still spinning after 5 years Time Aliums.
    The pedal bearings themselves are quite easy to service. Just make sure you have a thin enough spanner or the proper Shimano tool to hold the locknut in place when you set the bearing tightness.

Shimano XTR M985 Trail pedals exploded diagram
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830713903.pdf

The thing that you have to be extremely careful of with the Shimano XTR M985 Trail pedals is that the threads on the gold nut that screws into the pedal are delicate and can strip. On my original set of pedals I took the pedal apart and serviced it but when I put it back together the threads on the gold nut stripped or cross threaded.

XTR 2011 Pedals (first impressions)

That set of pedals was warrantied in the end. On my current Shimano XTR M985 Trail pedals there's a lot of grease coming out from inside the pedals but the seals themselves have stayed in place so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I now have a couple of hundred miles on the last generation (970) XTR pedals and they are still rock solid. Zero play and just a little grease weep which I would think is normal. Not sure whether to give the last replacement pair of 980's another try or just ebay them.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

From crunchy to broken

Second set of PD-M985's. And these also developed serious play and crunch.

Guess I hadn't seen the thread regarding the pedal failures.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...re-751821.html

But that's what happened to me. Looks like the pedal "untreaded" from the pedal body vs. some of the others that broke the out-board treaded end of the axle.

I've been riding Shimano clipless pedals since "91" (737's I think ) and never had a total failure like this. All of the pedals developed some play but never like either of these 985's.
    Lucky for me I wasn't bombing down some technical section when they decided to let loose.

Shimano will be out another set of pedals soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PD-M985 Pedal issues-img_0459.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yup. I'm waiting for the next version of XTR or if I see another crazy deal on M520/M540 pedals I'll grab them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I hope the Shimano importer in your country is better than the importer in my country Britain. Madison the British importer treated me like dirt and accused me of trying to fiddle a new set of pedals out of them. Didnt want new pedals I wanted a set of pedals that worked and didnt fall to pieces every 2 months. They grudgingly repaired them under warranty but butchered the gold nuts on both pedals and overtightened one pedal so it barely turned. Gave up on the pedals and gone back to my old Time ATACs. Annoying that I have a set of expensive pedals sitting in a drawer which I just dont trust to work and cant sell.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by H2o-Bar View Post
    Second set of PD-M985's. And these also developed serious play and crunch.

Guess I hadn't seen the thread regarding the pedal failures.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...re-751821.html

But that's what happened to me. Looks like the pedal "untreaded" from the pedal body vs. some of the others that broke the out-board treaded end of the axle.

I've been riding Shimano clipless pedals since "91" (737's I think ) and never had a total failure like this. All of the pedals developed some play but never like either of these 985's.
    Lucky for me I wasn't bombing down some technical section when they decided to let loose.

Shimano will be out another set of pedals soon.

I have broken several Shimano pedals just like this.

A couple of older 959's and a 540. Neither unthreaded, but all broke at the tip of the spindle. First one Shimano warrantied.....the rest I just chalked up to wearing out.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Another pair have just taken a crap, right pedal seal has gone again and grease is everywhere and play is developing. Hopefully Shimano will send me another set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a pair of these and I have the exact same problem as all of you. The bearings are just a bunch of loose balls and the way the pedal play is stabilized is with a rubber gasket. Yup, just a rubber gasket. The same gasket is what keeps the grease inside. That gasket disintegrated on my drive side and I had to replace it with a similar sized piece of tube that also disintegrated. Pretty crappy design. Too bad I removed one side SPD clips to make them into flat/clips or they would be going back to Shimano.

Undercaffienated
    I've had a pair of the XTR trails (PD-M985) for a year and a half now and it's been through all sorts of conditions from wet and muddy to dry and dusty and it's still performing fine. Just took it apart for a service and it's pretty easy to disassemble, clean and regrease. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. There are 22 loose and tiny ball bearings inside. They are easy to drop and lose if you're not careful.

2. As others in this thread pointed out, the gold nut on the axle is fairly easy to strip when putting the thing back together. Take your time with reassembly.

PD-M985 Pedal issues-uploadfromtaptalk1359401843455.jpg

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by hmorsi; 01-28-2013 at 11:57 AM.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Shimano helped me out

I finally got around to sending in my 2nd pair of PD-M985's (good thing XTR has a 3 year warranty).

I just called Shimano USA/NorthAmerica and they had me print off a returns form off there website. About a week later I received a new pair of pedals. This was one of the few manufactures that acually answered there phone. Cool.

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004
    do the spindles on the newer m985s or m980s look different in any way than the spindles that have been breaking?
    any photos?
    if a change occurred, when?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have the pedals been updated at all by Shimano?
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

PD-M985 Pedal issues

I don't think so. I had a pair of 985T from the first year which broke at the axle and received a warranty pair last summer. Identical. How come the 970 axles were so great and these suck...all due to the lower height?

I have a pair of DuraAce which are prob 10 years old, still running awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Servicing the bearings I have cross threaded the right lock nut, I was not careful enough. Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement nut or axle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Your local Shimano bike shop should be able to get it for you but it might take a week or two to arrive. I have ordered a couple of really obscure parts from my local Shimano shop and they always arrived even if they had to come from overseas.

Have a look at this link and you should be able to find the part number if you want to try the internet

Shimano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2