Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

'Old' XTR Disc - Larger rotors?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  crisillo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I have a set of Shimano M-965 XTR hydraulic discs, w/ metallic brake pads, 6" XT IS Rotors, connected to Mavic Crossmax SL wheels. I'd like to upgrade the front rotor to something a bit bigger, say 7". Is there an adapter kit to do this? Any potential worries w/ a larger rotor on the XC wheels? Thanks.

#2 ·
You can use the Hope +20mm Is to IS adapter for that purpose and an XT 180mm rotor. Shimano only makes a +40mm IS-to-IS adapter (to use with a 203mm rotor).

If your front caliper is postmount, it is easier to find adapter for use with a 180mm rotor....

regarding the wheels, I would only worry if your spokes are very light and if you go with a 203mm rotor... the 180mm would have no issue...

#3 ·
Did it!

I just added the 180 rotor from the 160. It makes a huge difference on long downhills. Little or no fade is noticed. I have the 06 XTR brakes & cross max wheels but not the center lock rotors.
I had my LBS order the adapter and the rotor, only took a few days to get. The installation was easy for them to do too.
Let me know how it turns out for you but I love mine. I have only been on 4 rides, today will be the 5th. So far I love it.
Oh and I have the cool max pads on my brakes. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#5 ·
:thumbsup: I dont have the part numbers here but i could see if I can get them for you.
I will look tonight when I get home and if I dont find them I can call the shop to ask them for the part numbers. :thumbsup:
You want both the adapter and the rotor numbers a assume. ;)

#6 ·
Here you go
The front IS adapter is SM-MA-F180S/S, but you can use a rear caliper in the front and it does the same thing
The rear is SM-MA-R180S/S.
The 180mm 6-bolt rotor is SM-RT75MA.
You will also need to order the mounting bolts for the adapter because they dont come with them

#8 ·
I also have the BR-M965 (2005 XTR ) brakes and want to run a 7" rotor, but my fork is a post mount 2007 Manitou R7 and my front brake is I.S. mount. Is it possible to run this setup?

#9 ·
shimano makes it

brodie_rider said:
I also have the BR-M965 (2005 XTR ) brakes and want to run a 7" rotor, but my fork is a post mount 2007 Manitou R7 and my front brake is I.S. mount. Is it possible to run this setup?
Shimano does make the adapter you are looking for. call your LBS and get them to talk to shimano regarding this.

#15 ·
Just one question...Shimano's centerlock 7" rotor is 180mm, but that post mount to I.S. mount says 170mm...can you run them together?

Edit: That Hope post to I.S. adapter is probably what I'm looking for if I want to run the '07 180mm xtr centerlock rotor.

#16 ·
brodie_rider said:
Just one question...Shimano's centerlock 7" rotor is 180mm, but that post mount to I.S. mount says 170mm...can you run them together?
No, sorry... for that adapter shimano makes an XT IS 170mm rotor...there is no 170mm in centerlock (as a separate note..shimano sells 180mm in both IS and centerlock)

check the available XT IS rotor sizes here:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=756

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.