• 11-17-2012
    Tone's
    O/T Shimano Fishing reels, Any users or fans in here?
    Just thought that seeings we have a thread for everything else here Shimano, id throw out the question if any of my American brothers use Shimano gear to fish with and your thoughts on it?
    Im a saltwater lure guide here in oz and ive been sold on Shimano gear for years, not only do they make great bike gear but they make killer precision Fishing reels.
    My boat is decked out with Shimano, Stellas, Tiagras, Tyrnos, and Stradics.
    Ive used a hell of a lot of top end gear over the years inc, Diawa, and Penn but to be honest Shimano gear leaves the rest for dead, all though i do have a soft spot for the old American made Penn's before they moved their manufacture over seas ...
    So i thought id see if Shimano reels were as big over there as they are here in Oz, maybe this thread might get a few interesting posts or maybe it will not get one bite lol, the latter probably seeing this is a biking forum, but just thought id give it a go.
    Cheers n happy bikin n fishin...:thumbsup:
  • 11-20-2012
    BamaBulldawg
    I am a big fan as well. I fish freshwater for largemouth bass and have Curado's and Chronarchs. Been sold on Shimano since I was a kid, they make great reels.
  • 12-09-2012
    jochribs
    I wish they'd make a fly reel or two. I'm sure they'd be sweet. Interestingly enough, Penn Reel is located somewhat near me in Philly.
  • 12-15-2012
    Gabriel J
    I'm a Shimano cycling and fishing fan. They just make good stuff. I can put bike stuff to use more often than the fishing due to the shortened season here in New England, so I usually go for XTR whenever possible.

My freshwater stuff is all Stradic, and I'm using Spheros for salt...I would LOVE to have just one Stella in the mix, but I can't justify the price with the amount I use the stuff. Now if I move back south sometime where I can easily fish year-round that may change

-Gabe
  • 12-15-2012
    Tone's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    I'm a Shimano cycling and fishing fan. They just make good stuff. I can put bike stuff to use more often than the fishing due to the shortened season here in New England, so I usually go for XTR whenever possible.

My freshwater stuff is all Stradic, and I'm using Spheros for salt...I would LOVE to have just one Stella in the mix, but I can't justify the price with the amount I use the stuff. Now if I move back south sometime where I can easily fish year-round that may change

-Gabe

Cheers Gabe, yes its top quality gear.
    I use Stradics for saltwater lure fishing, they are sweet, the stellas a fine reels but in all seriousness the stradics are right up there.
    The Spheros is a tough salt reel, i used to use them for live baiting for kings..
    Shimano sure do make great quality products mate
    cheers
  • 12-15-2012
    kamaaina1
    Shimano exclusively here. Pacific Northwest Steelhead....Yeah baby!!

Shimano Sedona
  • 12-16-2012
    dat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I wish they'd make a fly reel or two. I'm sure they'd be sweet. Interestingly enough, Penn Reel is located somewhat near me in Philly.

They do make fly reels under the gloomis name. Warranty and service is through Shimano facility in Irvine if you are in California.
  • 12-16-2012
    poe400
    If your boat deck is filled with Shimano Stella's (at $659.00 to $850 each) then I truly hope you are on XTR Stuff.......If not, sell one of those reels and upgrade!!
  • 12-17-2012
    jochribs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dat View Post
    They do make fly reels under the gloomis name. Warranty and service is through Shimano facility in Irvine if you are in California.

How 'bout that! Nice. Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea. Gonna look in to them.

**Edit...checked out their site, seems that their two reels are only offered in the Europe market. Nice looking reels though.

I saw no mention of Shimano anywhere. How did you know that Shimano is the maker?
  • 12-17-2012
    Hawg
    What in the H3ll took me so long to find this thread?!

Agreed, Shimano makes the best reels and they've also got some decent rods.

For LMBs, I fish Curados and Chronarchs. I've also got a Shimano TLD 30 2 speed for putting the hurt on the big boys of the sea. :)
  • 12-18-2012
    Tone's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    What in the H3ll took me so long to find this thread?!

Agreed, Shimano makes the best reels and they've also got some decent rods.

For LMBs, I fish Curados and Chronarchs. I've also got a Shimano TLD 30 2 speed for putting the hurt on the big boys of the sea. :)

Hawg, the old TLDs have to be up there with the Penn spinfishers as the best built and longest lasting reels around, ive got 3 TLDs but ive replaced them with some Tyrnos's, the Tyrnos is a gun reel, only 100 bucks more than the TLDs but a higher gear ratio, better bearings and materials, in between the Tiagra and TLD..

Ive a few Daiwa Saltiga spinning reels along with capricorn and advantages, im still a big Daiwa fan, they make top gear and are my second choice, but in the last few years imo Shimano have edged in front, as you said they make some decent very affordable rods too..
  • 12-18-2012
    Hawg
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Hawg, the old TLDs have to be up there with the Penn spinfishers as the best built and longest lasting reels around, ive got 3 TLDs but ive replaced them with some Tyrnos's, the Tyrnos is a gun reel, only 100 bucks more than the TLDs but a higher gear ratio, better bearings and materials, in between the Tiagra and TLD..

Ive a few Daiwa Saltiga spinning reels along with capricorn and advantages, im still a big Daiwa fan, they make top gear and are my second choice, but in the last few years imo Shimano have edged in front, as you said they make some decent very affordable rods too..

Agreed. My s/w reels are old skuul, last generation and in need of upgrading. But they still work great. Another sign of how little I fish anymore... :cryin::cryin::cryin:

I too like Daiwa stuff but their casting reels are only second to Shimano. I do have a Team Daiwa spinner that is very nice and I really dig Daiwa's Team Daiwa freshwater bass rods. I have a full compliment of those rods sitting in storage with Chronarchs and Curados mounted to them...gathering dust...:cryin::cryin::cryin:

Here's an LMB picture. WTH, might as well look back on good times. :)
  • 12-18-2012
    Tone's
    ^^^ loverly fish hawg