mtbr member

New question here. Nubs on the back of the XT Cassette contact spokes

I purchased an XT cassette a few weeks ago and tried to install it on a CK hub laced with Sapim spokes...It wouldnt fit.
    There are nubs on the back of the cassette that are to long and contact the spokes.
    I installed a SRAM cassette and it works like a champ...clearance is great and freewheels without contact

Then I installed another XT cassette on a Industry 9 hub laced with Sapim spokes it did the same thing...I didnt have a SRAM cassette to check it out so I used a dremel to grind the nubs down enough to fit. (I used a XT casette that was previously installed on a Shimano XT wheelset and transfered it to the Industry 9 hub.)

What gives? Did Shimano redesign the cassette?
    Im PDS sure the spokes/hub and install are correct.

Old school BMXer
    I have a couple bikes with King hubs and XT or XTR cassettes with no problem. In fact, there's enough room for the chain to drop in between. You don't need to ask how I know that.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    copy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The protruding pins only exist on the most modern 9sp xt cassette, they are intended to catch the chain to stop it damaging spokes if your chain goes off the back of your cassette, they aren't on the new 10sp cassettes.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    copy
    Thanks
    But it still contacted the spokes and resulted in no freewheel

Old school BMXer
    Can you post a picture?
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Ill have to take the cassette off the wheel...Ill see if I can get some without having to remove it....otherwise Im leaving it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had the same issue with a sun ringle dirt flea hub. Quick blip on the dremmel fixed that issue right up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackBoy
    I had the same issue with a sun ringle dirt flea hub. Quick blip on the dremmel fixed that issue right up
    Same here, was installing for a buddy of mine and the nubs were in the way so instead of a dremel I just used a bench grinder (same concept).