mtbr member
    May 2009

No parts available?

Recently broke my rear SLX derailleur side plate. LBS tells me Shimano does not offer parts? I purchased a new one, and kept the old one for spare parts. I looked on the Shimano website and they do show part numbers for the individual pieces. Do they really not offer parts? I hope I don't have any issues with my XT brakes!

JayMac

mtbr member
    I'm very sure they do, when I was browsing for the q-factor, there are all these pdf files on the shimano website with every part listed and part number.
    I'm sure you can't find these anywhere online, you probably have to call shimano and get the part number and then order it through your local dealer.
    ...love is the absence of fear....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830728822.pdf

found this on their website...shows part #'s to me????

mtbr member
    Exactly, and you should be able to order any of those parts by giving the part number to your local store who carries shimano.
    ...love is the absence of fear....

Old school BMXer
    While it appears that some distributors in the US do carry some Shimano spares, if they're not available, the dealer has to go directly to Shimano. I think there is a minimum order, since it seems that many dealers don't/won't place special orders with Shimano. As a result many common Shimano service parts are a PITA to get. And even still, I've had several occasions where Shimano USA doesn't have the part and won't get the part. This has been quite frustrating for me.

In Japan, however, service parts are much easier to obtain. In fact, many LBSs I've been to in Japan stock the parts I can't even get in the US!
    May the air be filled with tires!