mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New XTR Drivetrain Question???

Hi-
    I'm thinking about swapping a new drivetrain on a Trek Fuel EX 9. I think I want to use the 2007 XTR rear derailer (top normal, SGS cage)(M971-SGS). For my shift levers, I think I want the 2007 XTR Rapidfire Plus (M970).

I don't have much expereince with components.

Is this a great match of derailer and shifter? Anyone use this combo? Things to consider? Are these new XTR Rapidfire Shifters supposed to be great? I'm a little confused, are they still the old style rapidfire shifters that you use your thumb and index finger to shift?

Any expert advice is greatly appreciated

club très grand de VTT
    Hi Ethan,

I am considering the same combo, though I am still waiting for my LBS to actually get hold of the right parts.

The Rapid Fire shifter should make a good partner to the RD you have selected. Yes, they are the 'old style' thumb/index finger actuated trigger release, but now you can also actuate both triggers with your thumb a la SRAM (if it catches your fancy or suits the situation).

Additionally, the XTR shifters are instant release i.e. will release as soon as you push, and feature double shifting capability of the 'index finger' trigger - some who have tried complain that in the heat of the moment they often find themselves double shifting when the meant not to, but I will only find out when I actually get my hands on them.

Please post a review if you do get them, as I may not be able to get hold of my requisite parts till mid-Jan

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

-> SickLines.com <-
    Yea they're similar to old xtr shifters. For 2007 the shifters also shift down as well like sram shifters in addition to shifting down with your index finger. (you can shift up or down with your thumb).

You can down shift two gears at once as well and the engagement is as soon as you press it, not when you release it so shifting should be faster.

The shfiters also can be setup to run in or outside of the brake lever.