Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new xtr calipers

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  A MAN CALLED HORSE 
#1 ·
Does anybody know what IS size calipers are available. They offer a 140 rear so that would equate to a 160 front, but do they make a bigger size that would allow 180 front/ 160rear without going to postmount+ brackets. Cheers.

#2 ·
can you please clarify? I think you might be a bit confused, at least the question is... there is a rear 140 ONLY caliper... as for the front with an IS or Post mount caliper you can run 160 / 180 / 203 - your choice..

does this answer your question?

#3 ·
What i meant was can i run 180 front and 160 rear with dedicated IS calipers- not postmount with brackets. The 140 rear IS caliper will be able to run 160 on the front. If they make a dedicated 160 IS rear caliper then that would equate to 180 on the front. Cheers.

#4 ·
A MAN CALLED HORSE said:
What i meant was can i run 180 front and 160 rear with dedicated IS calipers- not postmount with brackets. The 140 rear IS caliper will be able to run 160 on the front. If they make a dedicated 160 IS rear caliper then that would equate to 180 on the front. Cheers.
Yup. According to QBP anyways, you can run the 160 rear XTR caliper, 180 on the front. and it is IS. But you might want to get another source to verify this.

GL,
-don

#8 ·
crisillo said:
ok, but the distance from the IS brake tabs to the 160mm braking surface is different front and rear, so a rear caliper used in the front allows you to run a 20mm bigger rotor.
No way! Here is the 180mm. adaptor for the rear brake.

Notice the part numbers.

Front: SM-MA-F180S/S (Notice the F)
Rear: SM-MA-R180S/S (Notice the R)

Ronnie.

Attachments

#9 ·
Ronnie said:
No way! Here is the 180mm. adaptor for the rear brake.

Notice the part numbers.

Front: SM-MA-F180S/S (Notice the F)
Rear: SM-MA-R180S/S (Notice the R)

Ronnie.
Yes Ronnie.... what I say is... if you put the rear caliper "incorrectly" in the front you will be able to run a 180mm rotor without an adapter........

EDIT: I know my shimano parts too.... I have all the PM to IS Shimano adapters in 160mm, 180mm and 203mm so I know how to "decode" the part numbers, even if I don't use IS to IS adapters such as the ones you posted...

#10 ·
crisillo said:
Yes Ronnie.... what I say is... if you put the rear caliper "incorrectly" in the front you will be able to run a 180mm rotor without an adapter........

EDIT: I know my shimano parts too.... I have all the PM to IS Shimano adapters in 160mm, 180mm and 203mm so I know how to "decode" the part numbers, even if I don't use IS to IS adapters such as the ones you posted...
I also use only post mount. In fact I prefer it to IS. No shims, easy to adjust. I use a post mount (front) XTR caliper with an adapter on the back of my bike. I don't care about a few grams.

Are you sure that the radial difference between the front and back IS calipers is exactly 20mm.? I have a XTR IS rear caliper here but I don't have a IS fork to check it with.

Ronnie.

#11 ·
Ronnie said:
I also use only post mount. In fact I prefer it to IS. No shims, easy to adjust. I use a post mount (front) XTR caliper with an adapter on the back of my bike. I don't care about a few grams.

Are you sure that the radial difference between the front and back IS calipers is exactly 20mm.? I have a XTR IS rear caliper here but I don't have a IS fork to check it with.

Ronnie.
Radial it is 10mm , in diameter it is 20mm..... if you have the PM-to-IS adapters around just compare a 160mm rear adapter and a front 180mm, they are identical when aligned....

#17 ·
Just to let everyone know, i bought a 160 rear set up and have put it on the front and am using it with a 180 disc. Cut the hose down and bled it (which i would have done anyway as there was a lot of lever travel at first) and just managed a short trip around the block to get the disc and pads aquanted. The signs are very good.

The lever and caliper exude quality and have a classy finish, although i would have prefered an all dark caliper myself. The weight of everything bar the disc is 240 grams, the equivalent Saint weighing 330. Its a good weight, but as with everything XTR it is solid and built to last.

To keep the overall weight down i'm undecided about which rotors to use, i would like to try Marta SL discs as i think the pad size is about the same. Although as with all Magura spares, the cost is high. The Hope floaters would work but the 180 is not any lighter than a normal disc, but the 160 is 90-100 grams i believe. Decisions, decisions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.