Dagenham Dave

New question here. New to RAPID FIRE - please help!?!?

Hello

After a 2 year hiatus from cycling, I have just started XC MTBing again...

My 2011 29er MTB came with 2x10 XTR Rapid Fire. All the MTBs I have had in the past have been XTR Dual Control Levers (which I love), and my run-around-with-the-kids bike still has Dual Control Levers...

Anyhow, yesterday I went for my second XC ride with the 29er with Rapid Fire, and I kept trying to flick my lever up each time pedalling got a bit hard, and I cannot seem to get my head around Rapid Fire...

Can somebody please:

1. Confirm that my Rapid Fire is working properly:

a). Cassette changes via RHS - I use my index finger over the bars to pull the top lever inwards to shift to a smaller cog (ie harder gear), and my thumb below the bars to push the bottom lever outwards and shift to a larger cog (ie easier gear).

b). Chainring changes via LHS - I use my index finger over the bars to pull the top lever inwards to shift to the small chainring (ie easier gear), and my thumb below the bars to push the bottom lever outwards and shift to the larger chainring (ie harder gear).

(my XTR Dual Control Levers use(d) an upwards flick on both the left and right sides to go to an easier gear, and a downwards push to shift to a harder gear, which feels(felt) a lot more intuitive to me - or is it just habit I am confusing for intuition???)

2. Offer reassurance that it will become as easy to use as my DCLs were/are, or any ways of remembering Rapid Fire's movements... (now I just tell myself that my index finger is for the smaller lever = smaller cog/chainring, and my thumb is for the bigger lever = bigger cog/chainring)?

Cheers for listening,
    Dave

The Cheater
    "a). Cassette changes via RHS - I use my index finger over the bars to pull the top lever inwards to shift to a smaller cog (ie harder gear), and my thumb below the bars to push the bottom lever outwards and shift to a larger cog (ie easier gear)."

You can also push (in addition to pulling) the top lever outward to shift to smaller cog. It goes both ways whichever method you prefer unlike SRAM where you can only push not pull.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Sounds like maybe your Dual Control setup has a rapid rise rear derailleur and your new bike has a traditional one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave V. View Post
    Can somebody please:
    Offer reassurance that it will become as easy to use as
    Be ye reassured! Give yourself some credit. Humans have good ability to adapt. I don't have dual-control, but I do switch between thumb-shifting and thumb-trigger shifting. I prefer one over the other, but I can adapt pretty easily to either one.

BTW, if your bike is new, I'm thinking you should be able to shift both up and down using your thumbs. Try it. All the Shimano shifters that I've seen recently are designed to release both ways: using your finger or using your thumb.

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Be ye reassured! Give yourself some credit. Humans have good ability to adapt. I don't have dual-control, but I do switch between thumb-shifting and thumb-trigger shifting. I prefer one over the other, but I can adapt pretty easily to either one.

BTW, if your bike is new, I'm thinking you should be able to shift both up and down using your thumbs. Try it. All the Shimano shifters that I've seen recently are designed to release both ways: using your finger or using your thumb.
    I have just bought a 2nd XC bike with SRAM XX 2x10... The shop owner suggested just that - that I start using thumb/thumb shifting on the XTR 2x10 for consistency with the thumb/thumb only option of the SRAM XX... I will start doing that from now on.