Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NEW GOAL: making other rapidfire shifters "instant release" like 2007 XTR

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  compression 
#1 ·
I am going to do this, I have a set of LX shifters, and a set of NEW XT shifters, I wanted the instant release of the new XTR but like many others I am not a fan of $250 shifter sets that are still not available (unless you buy a $4500 new bike) and might have a problem with too many features (double release shifting).

So my goal of the day/week/whatever is to make either my LX or XT shifters do the instant release of the new XTRs. I'm going to be taking tons of pictures and hopefully I can do it without any new parts, but I have a feeling its going to be like converting a semiautomatic assult rifle to fully automatic, sometimes you just have to buy one part, or file off some little pin.

Any help from anyone is appreciated. First round of pics are coming up today.

CLIFFS:
MAKE THIS

OUT OF THIS

AND THIS

Using my

and some help from you guys

See less See more
#4 ·
Your first step should be to sand off the XT logo on the Xt shifter. Then use a fine point sharpie pen and write XTR in your best shimano font.
That will get you halfway there!
those little shifter are incredibly complex and tiny on the inside. Hope you have good finger dexterity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.