Nightriding rules SuperModerator

new 2007 XT shifters (X-post from Yeti)

Original thread here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86#post2356986

I have decided to replace my xt dual controls with the xt rapidfires (M760) and normal XT brake levers (M765). I have read that the standard levers provide a better and more secure feel.. so let's see if it's true . Since I will bleed the brakes when I switch the levers I won't install them until Saturday when I have some extra time... I'll keep U posted...

Here are some pics

Both sides

IMG_43752007 XT shifters and levers for the 575

Left side

Left side XT shifter and  brake lever

Right side

Right side XT shifter and  brake lever

Dat mah bike, punk!
    nice....have fun with that.

i'd like to try these out too, but might wait till next year when XT's might have the adjustable clamp. till then i'm an X.9 trigger chigger....
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Thanks! I'll install them on Sat... and try them out...

mtbr member
    I saw a post showing the weight with and without gear display. Where is that thread??

Guppie, I think this is the one you mean

07 Xt Shifters and Schwalbe NN weight.

Well, I had a chance of taking the new bits for a spin this weekend, and the brakes feel awesome, as part of the switch I replaces the mineral oil and bled the brakes, so that could play a role.. regarding the shifters, they are smooth and nice.. I just have to get used again to rapidfires and I am still running a rapid rise RD, so at times I made wrong shifts... but with time I will probably get used to it...

Cheers

mtbr member
    How does the release trigger work with the pull or push option? Pretty Slick? I am going with the XTR line I just don't know if I should get the XTR shifters or XT. $100 difference and 60 grams heavier (30 if you remove the display).

It is pretty sweet actually, I used both quite a bit during this first ride.. depending on the situation... while braking I push with the thumb and while climbing I used my index mostly, so I found very convenient to have both options available.

One small detail on the XTR, they additionally have the multi-release (release of 2 gears in one "swing"), which the XTs don't have. Tscheezy made some comments on the multi-release causing some erratic shifting when trying to shift over bumpy terrain, meaning that he would try to shift only one gear, but he would shift 2 accidentally. This could be just a matter of getting used to it on the XTRs, but it should be considered..

In general, I'm quite happy with the change, but need more time on them...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just got a pair of the 2007 XT shifters installed tonight. I haven't done any "real" riding yet, but so far they seem pretty nice. Based on a couple rides around the block, I get the impression that I'll use the release in both directions (as crisillo noted) depending on the situation. Shifting the release lever in either direction feels very natural.

One thing I noticed was that these don't "click" as much as I'm used to with my previous Deore shifters -- i.e. the actual sound and feel of the ratchet in the unit is not as "clicky" as it is with the Deores. crisillo -- do you notice this as well? It's not necessarily a "bad" thing -- it's just a bit different. The new XTs are definitely more "solid" feeling than my Deores, however, and so far they seem to be more accurate/consistant when it comes to the derailleur positions. I'm using a 760 Low Normal rear derailleur.

Thanks,

Larry

Yeah Larry,,, the shifting seems very smooth (as in soft), but as you say I don't perceive this as a problem

mtbr member
    That XTR feedback was really helpfull (overshifting). I just like the adjustabillity feature. I really don't see a need for such shifting. Who really dumps gears on the release anyways. I can pull the trigger fast enough when needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    I really don't see a need for such shifting. Who really dumps gears on the release anyways. I can pull the trigger fast enough when needed.
    That's what struck me -- i.e. that releasing more than one gear in a single switch really doesn't gain you anything in the real world since you can pull the trigger mulitple times VERY fast. I actually would NOT use the XTR shifters because of this -- I'd RATHER only have single shifts with the release in order to avoid accidental double shifts.

Larry

mtbr member
    ^exactly, which puts the XT at the front. They are just heavy. I'm not a weight weenie, but I am also not a fan of adding weight if I don't need too. 60 grams is a lot. I know you can remove gear display and save 30 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    That XTR feedback was really helpfull (overshifting). I just like the adjustabillity feature. I really don't see a need for such shifting. Who really dumps gears on the release anyways. I can pull the trigger fast enough when needed.
    On this note, here is the original post where I saw the comment

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    On the XTR front, the brakes were smooth and quiet, and power was decent. Not remarkable, but good. I did not care for the new shifters though. Both the up and downshifts can be done two gears at a time, much in the way current trigger shifters can move two or more gears with the thumb paddle: pull farther, shift more gears. The problem was that to accomplish the first shift, a moderate amount of thumb or finger pressure is needed, but the second shift occurs with a seemingly far lower effort threshold. This meant that in the heat of battle, I was never able to shift just one gear. I always knocked off two. This was especially the case when the trail was really rough and my fingers were bouncing around anyway. The shifting was very precise and crisp (and not retarded-rise), but seemed very poorly designed for a bike that is pounding along. The sensation is of a "falling-rate" design. By comparison the new version of X.9 is wonderful. As far as I can tell, Shimano has made no progress towards denting Sram's recent advances with this release.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    anyone know if the new XT or XTR shifters are Flightdeck compatible?

Giggitty giggitty!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    anyone know if the new XT or XTR shifters are Flightdeck compatible?
    XT should be since it is still essentially the same shifter to flightdeck interface (take off the indicator and bolt on the flightdeck). However the XTR (new 970 series) will not be since there is no indicator pin/spring to make the fightdeck work.

All this is based on you having (or finding since they no longer make) an MTB flightdeck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I currently use the flightdeck on my MTBs. i would buy the new XTR shifters (if only for the adjustable position clamp) if they were flight deck compatible (which apparently they are not). Unfortunately the XT's do not have the adjustable clamp. bummer.

i like the flightdeck so much that i have two MTB wiring harnesses in storage waiting for new bikes that i haven't purchased yet...