Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New '06 XTR shifters...get 'em or save my pennies

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Psycho Mike 
#1 ·
Hey gang,

I'm doing some upgrades to my ride and thought I should drop a note in here about shifters. My ride will have both derailleurs XT in the next week or so. When I had been trying bikes prior to buying the one I have now, I noticed a big difference between the LX driveline and the XT (my ride came with a mix of the two), especially when it came to the shifters and front derailleur.

My question is rather two-fold...first, are XTR shifters, with all those ball bearings, that much better than the XT's (and I have felt the difference between the LX's and XT's and want to go at least XT)? Second, are last years' triggers (952's) good, or should I save my pennies and get the '07's (970's) because they really are that much better?

Any and all opinions appreciated...especially from those who have ridden XT and XTR in relatively close succession (back to back) and have had experience between '06 stuff and '07 stuff.

Thanks a bunch.

#2 ·
IMHO the XTR triggers (952's) have a much better feel than the XT's. They have a lighter touch, click better, last longer and just feel better. I also have the 970 triggers and they're great shifters but probably not worth the $$ over the 952's. They definitely up the bling factor of any bike and are nice and adjustable but the instant release shifting and the dual release trigger don't make much of a diff. If I had the choice again I'd stick with the 952's, they're great shifters and will last many years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.