mtbr member

Need a biiger middle chainring for Shimano LX M582 crankset

Current configuration is 22-32-44. I want to reconfigure it 22-36t-bash. I'm also considering 34t for the middle ring.

Will any 4 x 104bcd work? If so, which brand ring works best? I prefer one with pins and ramps and made of aluminum. I mainly see DH or single-speed rings in 34 or 36t with no shift ramps or pins. There seems to be a Shimano LX M580 36t aluminum ring, but I can't confirm this.

If I'm running an XT 11-32t cassette, which is a better front missdle ring? 32t, 34t, or 36t?

Last question! Can the middle ring be removed without taking out the crankset? I know I can remove it from the BB, but I'd still have to remove the 22t ring to take out the middle ring. Besides, I really don't want to remove crankset if the 32t ring can be looped out of the crank arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    bump

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    Current configuration is 22-32-44. I want to reconfigure it 22-36t-bash. I'm also considering 34t for the middle ring.

Will any 4 x 104bcd work? If so, which brand ring works best? I prefer one with pins and ramps and made of aluminum. I mainly see DH or single-speed rings in 34 or 36t with no shift ramps or pins. There seems to be a Shimano LX M580 36t aluminum ring, but I can't confirm this.

If I'm running an XT 11-32t cassette, which is a better front missdle ring? 32t, 34t, or 36t?

Last question! Can the middle ring be removed without taking out the crankset? I know I can remove it from the BB, but I'd still have to remove the 22t ring to take out the middle ring. Besides, I really don't want to remove crankset if the 32t ring can be looped out of the crank arm.
    Race Face makes a 104mm BCD middle ring with ramps/pins 34T and 36T. Shimano makes a 36T as well. Middleburn makes a 34T and 36T with ramps and pins. I'm sure there are several others as well....

BB