Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My de-anodized 970 crank

Bling!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My de-anodized 970 crank-xtr970blank.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Damn.....

That looks good.......how long did it take you (as I go downstairs and grab my sanding kit....)?

mtbr member
    That looks nice. I was wondering about the chain line. When you run it this way do you space the BB differently?
    milesW

mtbr member
    The anodizing is removed with sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as lye or caustic soda. I mixed 2 liters of water and four table spoons with caustic soda. Put the parts in the soda and let it rest for some minutes until the ano slips from the alu.

Use steel wool or a fine Scotch Brite to remove the ano and rinse the parts well in warm water when finished.

The parts are then wet sanded with grade 600 paper. For the best result, finish it of with grade 1200. Finally, give the parts the long lasting glossy finish with Autosol Chrome polish or some other metal polish.

The whole job took me about one hour.

Enjoy!

PS!
    USE GLOVES AND PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR WHEN WORKING WITH CAUSTIC SODA. DO THE JOB OUTDOOR OR IN A WELL VENTILATED ROOM.

MTB B'dos
    Nice job Mitch and thanks for the caustic soda tip I've tried to oven cleaner method and it really didn't work so well on older model cranks and took a lot of elbow grease.

Miles, are you kidding me Shimano's new prefered 50mm chainline is focked to say the least, going to a double like this you then end back up with a much better, more useable chainline of about 45-47.5mm depending on how you set them up. Therefor he can now use both rings with all cog combos without any issues
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    That looks nice. I was wondering about the chain line. When you run it this way do you space the BB differently?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch66
    ....snip......

Thanks!

Old school BMXer
    I recently did this with a set of 970 cranks. I spent a lot of time sanding the roughened finish where it was gray so that I could fully polish them.

It looks like you didn't get the full finish off the face of the cranks (what was already silver). I can still see the clear coat along with the previous wear marks - this clear is a pain to get off. I think I ultimately wet sanded it off with 600 grit paper, before going to 1000 grit.

I also tried removing the finish from the big ring, but that stuff is something else! That stuff is tough!
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    It looks like you didn't get the full finish off the face of the cranks (what was already silver). I can still see the clear coat along with the previous wear marks - this clear is a pain to get off.
    There is not a spot of clear coat left on the crank. What you see is reflections. I removed the clear coat with 240 paper before the soda bathing.

mtbr member
    you can use "easy off" oven cleaner to do this as well.
    it removes the anodized coating very fast

MTB B'dos
    Been there, tried that, didn't work as advertised
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    That's what I used on my 970 cranks. And I strongly disagree about your claim of it removing the anodizing fast.

The stuff that Shimano used on these cranks is pretty tough - much tougher than normal ano.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow, I personally wouldn't be stripping/sanding these crank arms after seeing that guy wear a hole in his from shoe rub. Looks sweet though

Edit: It was a 770 crank. I bet these are just as thin though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon
    Wow, I personally wouldn't be stripping/sanding these crank arms after seeing that guy wear a hole in his from shoe rub. Looks sweet though

Edit: It was a 770 crank. I bet these are just as thin though.
    Regardless og sanding or not. The hole would have got there anyhow. Before a did the job on the crank, I had already rubbed of the clear coat and was on bare aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    whoa whoa whoa, i want a 2 ring setup on my 970's. 26/38 correct? I must find those rings now!

mtbr member
    My setup is 28/38. The rings are Specialites TA Chinook bought at starbike.com.
    http://www.starbike.com/php/suchen.p...cialites+TA&q=

MTB B'dos
    Shimano finally wised up with the M970 version of XTR and went to a stnadard BCD instead of the 3 different sizes it used to use. You can get the rings Mitch used or any other stadard 104/64 BCD rings. My preference is Blackspire Super Pro, I run a 24/38 dual combo on my 29er FS and 34/46 on my rigid Monkey which I use for road duties.

Quote Originally Posted by banksd1983
    whoa whoa whoa, i want a 2 ring setup on my 970's. 26/38 correct? I must find those rings now!
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks!

looking to go 2x9 for XC/Racing purposes as the 22/34 is too easy, and the 44t I rarely ever use. I always though they had proprietary dimensions so some of the standard stuff wouldn't fit. Now I just have to figure out what gearing to use.

And the cranks pictured look sweet. I have a few sets and i'll do this on whichever sets starts getting chewed up the most

mtbr member
    Where can you buy caustic soda?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cranks look nice. Never have seen this on a 970 set. I have my 960 cut and polished for the singlespeed. As for the TA ringed 2x9, I've been racing with mine for six months without problems and my cadence is matched better to the XC courses. You do need four 2mm spacers between the 26T chainring and crank surface for ring-ring spacing.
    Link: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...c.php?p=498107

lazy rider
    2Al(s) + 2NaOH(aq) + 6H2O(l) → 2NaAl(OH)4(aq) + 3H2(g)

Watch out, the NaOH will dissolve aluminum. On the plus side, you can cool the gas in a bath and make hydrogen balloons!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ended up being too lazy to strip the cranks........not as good looking as mitch's, but hey, I have three little kids.....

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the initiative to try a 2x9 conversion. Liking it so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My de-anodized 970 crank-img_2106-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    I ended up being too lazy to strip the cranks........not as good looking as mitch's, but hey, I have three little kids.....

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the initiative to try a 2x9 conversion. Liking it so far.
    Very nice, but I would destroy the big ring in like 2 rides without some sort of bash. Any word on how to protect the big ring with that setup?
    "It looks flexy"

MTB B'dos
    YUP, don't buy a whimpy ring, buy Blackspire Super Pros. I have no bash, run 24/38 and haven't done diddly to the 38t.
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Very nice, but I would destroy the big ring in like 2 rides without some sort of bash. Any word on how to protect the big ring with that setup?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can these chainrings run 10 speed?

mtbr member
    Yes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast