mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Multi Release Cleats (Gold ones) vs std release cleats worth the $?

I just recently got into riding clipless and boy do I love it...but the other day I had such a close call and nearly didn't clip out in time with the std SPD cleats...

I'm wondering, do the gold multi release cleats really help out a new rider to clipless at all as they are supposed to be multi directional...or are they just a fad?

mtbr member
    They do let you release in all directions (including up). they are great for learning with but you will release by mistake when you get used to riding clipped in. then you can put your origanal ones back on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Actually I started with single release cleats (SH-SM51) and then got curious and bought multi-release ones (SH-SM56) when I had M959 SPD pedals. The multi-release cleats don't inspire confidence when I ride since they don't feel secure as if I'm gonna slip off the pedal or something, and they've accidentally release a few times on my upstroke, good thing I was not riding out of the saddle.

I've since migrated to Ti Eggbeaters with Crank Bros premium cleats, they combine the security of the single release cleats and the easy clip-offs of the multi-release cleats.