mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Mtb brakes, shifters on a road bike?

Hi,

Would Shimano XT brakes/shifters fit on a road bike with a Shimano 105 group?

It has been raining hard and the trails near my house are hopelessly muddy, so I've had to resort to riding my road bike from time to time. Riding down in the drops isn't something I care for, so I got to thinking. Could I put a flat bar on my road bike and run Shimano XT M750 STI brakes/shifters? Would V-brake levers work with road-style cantilever brakes? Technically the Shimano 105 brakes on my bike are side-pulls with the cable pulling on one side and not straight from the top the way old-school brakes did ten years ago, before V-brakes.

- Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    V-brake levers pull more cable (low mech advantage) than road levers (less cable pull, high mech advantage). It will take more hand effort to get the same braking power with the mtb lever/road caliper combo. Shimano does sell flat bar road brake levers.

Cantilever brakes and side pull calipers (which have been around for ~100 years) are not the same.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

You can also try

a bar with a different profile (Jones H-Bar or On One Mary) while still using the STI levers. You can also try bars with a bit of flare at the end (On One Midge).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    a bar with a different profile (Jones H-Bar or On One Mary) while still using the STI levers. You can also try bars with a bit of flare at the end (On One Midge).
    Road STI levers will not fit well on the Jones bar and may not work on the Mary.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    MTB levers wil not work with the midge bar. it is designed for RD bike levers. I dont think they will work with the Mary either but I cnat confirm that. Shimano does make flat bar brake levers and shifters for road bikes though. BL-R770 and SL-R770 will work perfectly.

Giggitty giggitty!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    SL-R770 will work perfectly.
    R770's will work as long as you are running the 10 speed 105 group. If you are running 9 speed then you can use the R440's or R660's.