mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mixing and matching shimano xtr and deore xt parts

Hi, building a new bike now,
    Transfering my deore xt rapidfire shifters and front crankset and maybe the front derailleur.
    Is it possible if I match those with the XTR cassette and rear derailleur? (both 9 speed)
    Will this spoil the smoothness of the shiftings or will there be any side effects? If not what's the best parts to mix and match?

Thanks for the advice.

What could go wrong ...
    yes you can mix those parts and did you make sure the front derailleur will fit the new bike ... the seat tubes may not be the same size
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Zoke2,actually the new seatube is thicker for my new frame. So guess I can go with the XTR derailleur? I won't have any shifting problems with using the Deore XT shifter will I?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revive01
    Thanks Zoke2,actually the new seatube is thicker for my new frame. So guess I can go with the XTR derailleur? I won't have any shifting problems with using the Deore XT shifter will I?
    Not at all, it will work fine. Just to know, are talking M-770 XT and M-970 XTR? Are you planning go Shadow RD?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi BR, ya going for the M972 shadow RD but now I'm getting reviews that the XTR shifters are a better bet than the Deore XT shifters. Not sure if it's worth the extra is it?

mtbr member
    I think the XTR shifters are better than the XT, yes. They worth the extra cost, since they are smoother and better quality overall. If you intend to go for an upgrade over the XT and match your XTR Shadow, they sure will worth the investment.