Bikes!

M985 XTR Trail crank Allen bolts

Does anyone happen to know if these are readily available as spares or if I can just go to any fixing type supplier and use the same sized bolts?

Are they simply made from aluminium/aluminum or are they a little more exotic than that?

Thanks in advance but the bolt heads strip way too easily, I used new and sharp hex keys but they still did it!

2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

ups and downs
    Are these the 2x pinch bolts you're talking about? Pretty sure those are just stainless as they aren't a very high torque rating bolt (106-122 in-lbs or 9-10 ft-lbs of torque). They're a standard metric thread, but the head size is fairly compact so it may be hard to find an exact match.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Are these the 2x pinch bolts you're talking about? Pretty sure those are just stainless as they aren't a very high torque rating bolt (106-122 in-lbs or 9-10 ft-lbs of torque). They're a standard metric thread, but the head size is fairly compact so it may be hard to find an exact match.
    Yes it's the pinch bolts. Looking at them I don't think they're stainless steel as they seem just too soft. I used a torque wrench to tighten to 13nm as Shimano advised between 12-14nm.

Thanks for your help, I'll see if my LBS can get the direct replacements for me I think.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

MTB B'dos
    Don't own XTR, but have XT and have replaced the stock ones a couple times when I over torque them early on in my bike life. I use the hardened steel ones (black) as they're available here, SS would also work and be nicer. A standard M6 bolt fits the XTs, 15mm long IIRC.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bikes!
    Thanks LyNx I am going to go over to my local friendly fixing manufacturer who will be able to supply me with some replacements at a fraction of the cost of shimano if I were to order theirs!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

MTB B'dos
    LMAO You should be able to probably get 10 or more bolts from a hardware store for the price Shimano'd rip you for. Wish we had some decent SS ones available down here, but isn't a market, guess I'll just save a bit eventually and get som nice Ti ones instead
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thanks LyNx I am going to go over to my local friendly fixing manufacturer who will be able to supply me with some replacements at a fraction of the cost of shimano if I were to order theirs!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics