Ride Hard. Go Fast.

M980 XTR Cassette 10 Speed skips

so I've never had a cassette or rear deraileur give me this kind of issues. Anyone know what I'm missing here. Set everything up just like I've done for all my bikes. Any special thing I'm forgetting?

Brand new.
    M980 casette
    M985 Long Cage Deraileur
    KMC X10SL chain

The chain does not want to go into the 2nd and 3rd lowest gear. And jumps around between 8 and 9. A $200 casette should not be doing this!!!

any help would be great

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What shifters are you using?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is your hanger straight, wheel in the dropouts all the way? What rear wheel are you using?

ups and downs
    What chainring are you in at the front? Big or small? 2x10? If it's a brand new 2x10 drivetrain the crosschaining from big ring to bigger cogs might take an hour or two of riding to get the chain to loosen up a bit.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    thanks for the replies guys.

@the-one1: Running XTR Shifters M980

@City: hangers and drop outs all good. Running Industry 9 EN wheelset

@ Rocky: Use M980 XTR Trail 38/26... I think you're right about the chain breaking in.

I also gave the gear cable a little slack because I noticed how it wanted to shift up. I loosened the cable bolt and backed out the barrel about 6 Clicks, then just barely pulled on the cable and tightened it up again. Now I have a little wiggle room in either direction to adjust the cable tension. This seemed to have solved the shifting problems. It binds a little in the 3rd gear but that could be a chain kink thing.

I have a Blackspire Stinger chain guide on it, and has noticeable drag and I'm guessing could be causing the shifting issues as well. Will be removing it and getting the bionicon. My buddy runs it and it glides very nicely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not sure about the Industry 9 hubs, but i run Sun Ringle Charger pro`s, and got caught with similar issue when i did not build my cassette up correctly. Was used to XT wheelset where all bits of cassette could only fit on one way on hub. With the Sun Ringle`s they could fit multiple ways, but unless you have all bits lined up same way with same keying, i saw problems as you describe.

Just a thought. Drove me mad for a while.

Also, i run the blackspire with XT 38/26 cranks, and XTR shadow plus. No issues shifting gears. Ever.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ^ I was thinking the same thing. Stans wheels are the same way, the cassette can go on backwards if your not careful. I9's are keyed though so it can't be screwed up. So it's gotta be something else. Sounds like cable tension has a lot to go with it. The new shimano does run a very low cable tension, much like SRAM.

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    thanks for the replies. The cable tension was the problem. Shifts like butta now. I was really disappointed for a brief night. Got up a 5am it bothered me so much -- and as I turned the crank and saw the chain wanting to shift to the 3->2 and 2->1 gear knew the cable was too tight.

Love the stuff. Some times, it's those no-duh issues that get the best of us.