mtbr member
    Feb 2006

M980 triple or dual crankset with bashguard

Hello everyone, I've been searching for more information on this on google and this forum. I'm unable to procure any useful information yet.

So for those of you out that with M980s that has a bashguard, can you tell me do you go for the triple or the dual chainring crankset and what bashguard do you use?

Or should I go for a Deore XT M770-10 with a bashguard and save a fair amount of money. This crankset is to go onto a Santa Cruz Nomad.

Thanks!
    Last edited by doom102938; 08-04-2011 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    You could not run a bash guard with the double ring setups. You would have to go with the triple then replace the largest chainring with a bash guard.

You know the M780 is also out...which is another possibility for you.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

ups and downs
    You could run a bash on the XTR M980 Trail 26/38 double cranks, they use a standard 104mm BCD, they're just the triple cranks with a captive nut/cover on the outer chainring position.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can't the MRP XCG Triple Chain BB Device (44t) be used for the 42t on the 980?

whistler
    Mar 2004
    XCG guides just sit inside the bb and keep the chain from dropping inside the little ring, as well as give some bash protection for the big ring. they don't replace chainrings.

OP, you don't need to buy a new crankset, just replace your middle ring with a 34 or 36 (if you want), and your big ring with a bash guard. if you do need a whole new crankset, best value is SLX 22/36/bash.

mtbr member
    yes curious about this too. I don't seem to be able to find any pics of any one who's done it. It appears to me since the bolt which secures the largest ring works from the inside of the crank vs the outside, there may be some issues with offset? I have a 28T widgit which works on any standard 3 ring setup but was told the new xtr may have some issues.

Homebrewed components does have a bash available for the XTR 985 race double, which uses an 88mm BCD. I emailed them to ask if they will have one which will fit the XTR 980 double or tripe which uses the standard 64/104mm BCD and I haven't got a response.
    A trophy bike is easier to maintain than a trophy car. Both are easier to maintain than a trophy wife.

Dirty nerotic bike whore
    just get the XTR crank, its the only component I feel is worth it on the XTR line.