Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

M970 Crankarms with Raceface rings (x-post)

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  syadasti 
#1 ·
I have a M970 crankset. I was hoping to run a Raceface(RF) 9spd 24-36-BG setup (what I use on my other bike with XTs). The 24T RF inner ring does not look spaced out enough to run with the RF combo on the M970 (stupid Sh*tmano). Is it best to run the M970 24T inner ring to get proper spacing or should I use spacers to make the RF 24T inner ring work :madman:

#4 ·
wheelhot said:
why are you mixing a shimano crankarm with raceface rings?
Because triples are pointless for most riding. I've been riding a bashguard with dual chain ring for over 7 years. I've found 24/36 is gives the most useful range. 22/32 or 24/32 isn't wide enough. All the Shimano cranks I've had over the years (one LX and various generation of XT) work fine with raceface, blackspire, or truvativ rings too. The new XTR was supposedly able to use normal chainrings but thats not true for the inner (at least without spacers anyways).

#6 ·
syadasti said:
Because triples are pointless for most riding. I've been riding a bashguard with dual chain ring for over 7 years. I've found 24/36 is gives the most useful range. 22/32 or 24/32 isn't wide enough. All the Shimano cranks I've had over the years (one LX and various generation of XT) work fine with raceface, blackspire, or truvativ rings too. The new XTR was supposedly able to use normal chainrings but thats not true for the inner (at least without spacers anyways).
Get some chainring spacers, space the 24 ring towards the BB shell. I have the same cranks and rings, except 24/34. I believe I used 1.2mm spacers, or maybe it was 2mm, can't remember..

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/quicksearch/description/spacer/WZ8106?page=3#WZ8106

Your LBS may have them instock, if not, BTI or QBP will have them via special order.

#7 ·
snowdrifter said:
Get some chainring spacers, space the 24 ring towards the BB shell. I have the same cranks and rings, except 24/34. I believe I used 1.2mm spacers, or maybe it was 2mm, can't remember..

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/quicksearch/description/spacer/WZ8106?page=3#WZ8106

Your LBS may have them instock, if not, BTI or QBP will have them via special order.
Thanks - thats what I figured - run an XTR M970 (which is cheap unlike the middle and outer rings) or use spacers.

Any reason you didn't just run the M970 24T inner ring (also the M970 comes in a 24/32/44 version)?

#8 ·
My cranks came, 22/32/42, got them cheap on EBAY. Turned around and sold the XTR rings for $150, ended up with XTR crankarms for $225, not too shaby. I had plenty of rings in my parts bin to up the gearing range. I had to modify the bashring slightly, a little dremel griding to get it to fit the 970s.

Shimano missed the boat on the two different Chainring selecitions. 22-32, or 24-32, wack, why not 24-34-44??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.