mtbr member
    Sep 2010

LX shifter problem

I have the stock LX shifters on my 04 Specialized Enduro that have been acting up lately. When you use the thumb shifter it hasn't been engaging the cable. So, you push the lever but it doesn't shift. It's particularly bad on the front shifter. It goes from the small ring to the middle ring every time, but rarely will engage to go up to the third ring. If you push upwards while pushing the lever it does help but still doesn't always work. Im gonna open it up tonight but not knowing much about it I'm not sure what to look for. Any ideas?
    Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does it click when it indexes, or does the lever just keeps moving without clicking? 1 post, so I have no idea how familiar you are with basic drivetrain adjustment. Did you check the cables? Maybe they've come loose?

tk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It won't click at all. The cable isn't moving when I try to go to the large ring. I've adjusted deraileurs plenty but haven't ever opened the shifters. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Once you remove the plastic housing, you see a nut basically holding the whole thing together. When this comes loose, levers can move without engaging anything.

I've had to put an LX shifter back together after one of our group discovered he couldn't shift. Luckily, the nut that fell out was still in the housing.

04 is not too old, but I guess could be old enough. Shimano uses some interesting grease in their shifters. As the grease ages, it turns to gum and gets real sticky. I'm currently tuning up a friend's wife's cheapy Motiv with Altus shifters that gummed up. I'm thinking about dunking the innards in gasoline to free it up before re-lubing it with some Park grease. I don't want to put any effort into an Altus shifter.

Good luck.

tk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I took it apart and the nut looked tight. Couldn't get it to tighten any more. For some reason though once I put it back together I couldn't get it to shift at all so I messed something up. Taking it in to the LBS tomorrow...

mtbr member
    This is usually because the grease in the shifter has hardened. It's often worse in cold weather. Put some silicon spray in there.

Tim

MTB B'dos
    Common problem with older shifters that have maybe seen a lot of use and/or been sitting a a while, easy fix....just take it apart, spray some WD40, oil or some such in there under the mechnism and you should be golden. As to reassembling it, just make sureyou didn't pinch the cable or something like that and if you went at the bolt, make sure you didn't over tighten it. I've had to remedy an LX and XT shifter with this same issue and they're working fine now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well it's fixed! I hadn't gotten the cable back in the cable in the shifter properly last night which is why it wasn't working then. I sprayed some WD40 in there and sure enough it works. Not sure why that did the trick but it's golden now. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's the sticky gummy, grease. Glad it worked out for you. Say, out of curiosity, I thought I recognized your login name from another forum. Perhaps SVRIDER?

tk