Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Killed an XT crank arm

8K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  dangdang 
#1 ·
I have a set of XT M760 cranks that I bought new in 2007. Sometimes the sides of my shoes rub against them when I'm riding. They're cheap skate shoes from Target and I run Azonic Accelerator flats. The rubbing wore away the XT logos and I thought no big deal. I figured it wasn't good, so every time I was riding and noticed my foot rubbing, I'd readjust it (when it got wet, it got noisy).

Today I pulled my cranks to see how my new BB was holding up and when I went to put it back it looked like there was a spec of dirt on it, so I picked at it with my fingernail and poked a hole through the wall of the crank arm. Fortunately I picked up an extra at a swap meet last summer for $5, so I'm good to go. Hopefully the non-drive side is fine.

Has anyone else done this? I plan on covering the arms with something from now on, maybe fishboy's framesaver tape or crankskins if they have one that comes in a clear color.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Berkley said:
Sometimes the sides of my shoes rub against them when I'm riding.
I'd say that's a slight understatement. I see a lot of guys with rub marks on their crank arms, but mine never rub so I don't even understand how it's possible.

If you're rubbing through an aluminum crank arm I doubt that a set of crankskins would last more than a week.

#9 ·
Wow. I thought I rubbed my crank a lot. I tried the clear protective tape on the face of my new cranks but the tape could not stay on from the side hits of my shoe. It also will squeek a bit when wet. Try finding some type of teflon tape and wrap it around the crank.

#12 ·
Some points to clarify:

I bought these cranks new in May of 2007. I'm fortunate in that I get to ride almost everyday, so they have between 3,000 and 5,000 miles on them (which means millions of crank rotations/shoe rubs).

I either wear cheap $20 skate shoes from Target, or an old pair of sneakers I have. My pedals are Azonic Accelerators (flats) and I intend to keep it that way. I have no plans to go clipless - I have no plans to change that, so don't try to convert me.

The cranks aren't thin by any means. The affected spot is as thin as a soda can, because my shoes removed that much material. I tried to take some pictures of the indent, but it's kinda difficult to see. Don't get the impression these cranks are weak by any means, I've put them through some abuse, and there are people on them that go way bigger than I do.

EDIT: I should add that the non-driveside looks fine. There is rub, but nothing like on the driveside. I'll be putting protective tape on both arms when I receive it.

Attachments

#19 ·
I don't know what you're whining about not wanting to change to cleats...you are lucky you managed to get a $5 replacement at a swap meet - would you still be so against cleats if you would have to pay list price for a new crank set? Seriously though; change your footing and imprint the new position in your brain!
BTW-helicopter tape will also do the trick, but really you should be.....buying cleats...;)

#20 ·
Bike Addict! said:
I don't know what you're whining about not wanting to change to cleats...you are lucky you managed to get a $5 replacement at a swap meet - would you still be so against cleats if you would have to pay list price for a new crank set? Seriously though; change your footing and imprint the new position in your brain!
BTW-helicopter tape will also do the trick, but really you should be.....buying cleats...;)
I don't want to be clipped into my pedals, end of story. I've got plenty of reasons for that decision, none of which I need to justify to anyone. If I had to get a new crankset, I still wouldn't change to clips. Period.

There's nothing wrong with flats, it's just a different riding style. They work well for me, YMMV.

#22 ·
highdelll said:
WTH!! move your foot away from the crank.

Done.

(no need for protective tape)
He might have knee issues; a friend of mine has the same problem and had to have pedal spacers made (he uses XTR pedals) ... not everyone has perfectly aligned feet; I don't (though, nowhere near as bad as this guy ... that worn crank is awesome).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.