Take Chances

Just Not Getting It...

I have been looking at the 985's and the 980's. Really like what Shimano has done with the 980's. I like the looks of the 985's but just do not understand why one would need a larger platform like that when using a stiff soled shoe.

I have been riding with XT, XTR clipless pedals since the very first shimano clipless pedals arrived at the LBS. I have had a myriad of shoes but they have all been stiff soled.

I really want to like the 985's but cannot see the advantage.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Even a carbon soled shoe flexes some. I used to ride the smallest xtr pedals until I started jumping a lot more. The added platform size has lessened the ankle tweaks I used to get on hard landings while clipped in.

bog
    mtbr member
    I have both sets of pedals and can honestly say that I don't like the 985s. My M300 shoes never touch the platform (no rub marks on the cage part after 10 hrs of riding). The little cage part is useless unlike the cage on the DX 647 pedals. The cage also makes the pedals harder to get into because the clip-in mechanism doesn't pivot like the DX pedals do.

The 980s have a great pedal platform with the increased surface area compared to the 970s and are easier to clip in to than the 985s. Winner!
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We have a discussion going on the XC Racing and Training category
    XTR 2011 Pedals (first impressions)

I agree with Bog. If using a stiff sole, the cage is useless, whether clipped or unclipped. The shoe does not come into contact with the cage. However the increased surface area(the flat, silver, machined area) offers a noticable advantage both clipped and unclipped.

I have the 985s and originally thought of selling and getting the 980s. Now I think I may cut the cage off and take advantage of the increased surface area and width of the machined surface of the 985 over the 980.

Still curious if people with softer soles like Shimano M66 or 510s have contact with the cage...doubt it. All I see the cage doing is protecting the pedal body.

mtbr member
    I have the 985's and really like them. The cage works when you have some rough landings or other off center riding when your foot isn't in perfect shape. I switched from Time ATAC and Z's to the 980's and 985's for both my bikes. When your clipped in and pedaling you can't tell what pedal your using 980 or 985 which is a good thing, it's when things get harry that you can tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Murchman, are you sure its not the increased area of the platform(Silver machined areas) of the 985 over the 980 that you are noticing instead of the cage?

What type of shoe are you using? If you are using a stiff xc shoe, I just never see it coming into contact with the cage itself.

mtbr member
    I'm running both new versions of the XTR pedals one with the cage and one without the cage. I'm using Specialized Comp shoes and I can tell a difference when the bike is going one way and my feet the other. With the race pedals my foot is out and off with the trail pedals it's much more stable and even if it realeases from the pedal my foot is still on enough to recover without a complete off of the pedal.

I'm a big guy 6'2 220lb so my stiff shoe may have more give than others when my full weight plus any g-force is on them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm with you on that