mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Ice Tech Rotor Warpage

This third time I've gone through an Ice-Tech rotor and it warped and I couldn't get it straight because the warpage was funky and all over the place.

So I ordered a couple of RT-66s from JensonUSA. I read that the one piece design makes it easier to get them back in shape if they do warp. Plus, they are super cheap. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I haven't tried anything else. The 66s just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I can confirm that after going down several steep hills over a few weeks, the RT-66s handle it much better. They seem to cool down or straighten-out faster on their own.

To keep the rotors in optimal performance, I also use an alternating brake method - tap left, tap right, tap right - to keep them from overheating and it gives them time to cool down, then when I'm sufficiently slowed down, I squeeze on both levers until stopped. This is a general advice that was given to me in this forum as a technique when going down steep hills. Although it didn't completely prevent the ice-techs from warping, it did make it less severe, and in the case of the RT-66s, there's been no warping at all.

Hopefully, this post will help someone who is having same issue.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have also given up on the Ice Tech rotors and am having much success with the RT-66 rotors. The Ice Tech stuff may work well for someone, but that someone is not me.

MTB B'dos
    OP, have you considered that maybe you need some bigger rotors if you're having issues warping them all the time? Curious how much you weigh and what size rotors you're currently running? I run the previous gen Ice Tech/2 piece rotors that only used a steel braking surface, not the alu sandwiched between steel the newest one do and even on the long 5+ miles descents I did in CO last summer I had no issues. I also when I went to CO where I knew there's be longer descents switched from my regular 160/180 setup to a 180/203 setup to handle the extra load and I only weigh about 185-190lbs geared to ride. On all my other bikes I run RT66s, can't say they work any better than the older IT I use on my main ride, actually I thinkI warp them easier.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OP, have you considered that maybe you need some bigger rotors if you're having issues warping them all the time? Curious how much you weigh and what size rotors you're currently running? I run the previous gen Ice Tech/2 piece rotors that only used a steel braking surface, not the alu sandwiched between steel the newest one do and even on the long 5+ miles descents I did in CO last summer I had no issues. I also when I went to CO where I knew there's be longer descents switched from my regular 160/180 setup to a 180/203 setup to handle the extra load and I only weigh about 185-190lbs geared to ride. On all my other bikes I run RT66s, can't say they work any better than the older IT I use on my main ride, actually I thinkI warp them easier.
    It is the sandwiched steel/aluminum/steel rotors that I avoid. If I did happen to tweak one of those, they have been pretty much impossible to tweak back into shape. I don't really need those kind of headaches when the RT-66 has been so reliable . . . . and costs considerably less.

Class Clown
    i have 2 bikes one has icetech the other rt66 both 203/180 I will see how they do this season and try to remember to report back

mtbr member
    I came to this section of the forum specifically looking for anyone else who has had issues with warping. I've had two sets of 180/160 IceTech rotors, and each has warped at some point or another. I've not very hard on my brakes either, especially the rear which sees very little constant use, only on/off at certain times.

This most recent one is a 160 in the rear that's warped just enough to contact the pad in one spot while spinning - just enough to make an infuriating repetitive noise. I have given up on IceTech altogether, just ordered an RT66, and went up a size to 180 just because. Glad to hear that other people are going with those rotors also and that they're working well.