Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I think I broke it, M475 Hub

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ALS650L 
#1 ·
So I bought a brand new Cannondale on friday. I played around with it for about 15 minutes, didn't ride it saturday, then played around on it for about 20 minutes today. On to the problem, my freewheel doesn't seem to be freewheeling. I took the wheel off the bike and I can hold the cassette and it will bind up or nearly lock when I spin the wheel. When it unlocks it will turn about 3/4 of a turn and do the same thing. The force needed to unlock it varies but it does it every revolution.

What did I do? I'm not planning to fix it myself (warranty), but I am curious what happened?

#2 ·
I've had the same thing happen with a 475 on another bike. They're a bottom of the range hub, with not-so-fantastic internals. I warrantied mine so I can't say what went wrong, but the mechanic's exact words were "It was f**ked." He was referring to just the freewheel component - the rest of the hub was fine.

The replacement (identical) worked fine for 2 years of solid riding before I needed to replace the cones and bearings.

I think they're just hit-n-miss.

#3 ·
I realized they aren't the greatest hub but I figured I'd get more than 45 minutes out of it. I don't know much about bike components but I'm assuming just the freewheel is bad. I'll take it to the shop later this week and get it replaced. Hopefully I'll get a better one this time :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Took the bike to the shop today and i did in fact have a faulty freewheel. They didn't have an identically one in stock but they had the next one up in stock, I believe he said it was an XT. I was in and out in short order and free of charge even for the upgraded part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.