mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I-Spec XTR shifters with XT brakes?

I have some 980 XTR Shifters and was curious if anyone had mixed and matched them with the new XT brakes. I know I'll need to get the i-spec covers for the shifters but obviously want to know if it will work before I get them. From pictures I've seen it looks like it should work. Also tried searching and haven't found anyone that has done it.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was actually wondering something similar. I have XTR trail brakes right now but I might get a new bike that has xt brakes with the I spec XT shifters. I was wondering if it will be easy to add my xtr brakes to the bike.

Jan 2007
    Every new Shimano Brake Lever (from Deore BL-M596 to XTR BL-M98x) are I-Spec compatible. I have XT and XTR brakes and shifters installed on my bikes and they work in the same way, and looks great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What I wanted to hear! Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Shimano makes XT and XTR ispec brackets - can either be used with any mix of XTR/XT brakes and shifters?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Old thread (?), but i just recently attached an ispec Saint shifter on an XTR M980 lever.

mtbr member
    I'm curious how people like I-spec as far as shifter placement. It appears you can move it a bit but not sure it would be enough for me. Would love it if some people posted pics of theirs.......thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DexTan View Post
    Old thread (?), but i just recently attached an ispec Saint shifter on an XTR M980 lever.
    Me, too. Same set-up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks for the recent bump dextan and confirmation in the trees. I'll be going to saint i-spec paired to xtr in the offseason and I was just wondering about this!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    thanks for the recent bump dextan and confirmation in the trees. I'll be going to saint i-spec paired to xtr in the offseason and I was just wondering about this!
    Sure thing!

I wear XL gloves and brake one-finger, so the levers are a little further away from the grips than normal, the i-spec shifter is all the way towards the grip, that's how i have it set up on mine.

mtbr member
    I could never get comfortable with the i-Spec setup. I ended up going back to separate brackets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    I could never get comfortable with the i-Spec setup. I ended up going back to separate brackets.
    Can you be more specific? I run my brakes pretty far out from my grips and am wondering how this might affect shifter placement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    Can you be more specific? I run my brakes pretty far out from my grips and am wondering how this might affect shifter placement.

Well I like to run my brakes fairly close to my grips and my shifters further out. It wasn't too bad but with the i-Spec you cannot adjust the angle of your shifters and levers independently and I wish that you could. I could certainly get by with the i-spec but couldn't get exactly what I wanted. I suppose that if I had lockout levers and suspension adjustment levers on my bar too I'd go with the i-Spec but I feel more comfortable with separates.