mtbr member

How good is the new trail 3x10 system?

I am having an ibis mojo HD built up for me by the ibis factory, and I told them I wanted the new 3x10 full xtr drive train. How good is it compared to last years, or even 3 years ago? I have the 05 xtr cranks on my 05 epic now, with an 08 derailleur and pod setup. How much better is the 2011 stuff?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's pretty nice. I talked to a Shimano rep recently and got to test ride some bikes that had the new XTR on it and it was a very smooth shifting system. Not only in the derailleurs themselves, but the shifters were effortless, and felt a little closer to SRAM X.0 with a nice tactile feel to each shift. Each shift also feels the same in the sense of how much pressure and 'push' you have to give. Some other Shimano systems I've ridden felt different throughout the gear range.

I think you'll be very happy with the new stuff. I've always been a SRAM guy, but Shimano really stepped up their game and the rep said the new XTR is completely re-done. Like they threw out everything and started from scratch.

Are you going to go with the XTR brakes as well, or just the drive-train?

mtbr member
    Ok cool. XTR everything except the brakes. I have a set of hope 6ti's that I love.