mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Help for my *howling* XTR Trail brakes!

Brand new XTR trail brakes are HOWLING like banshees. I've done all the usual preventative stuff (cleaned/sanded pads, cleaned rotors with alcohol, switched rotors, etc. ... heck, I even had them 'professionally' cleaned by shop mechanic), but the screeching, howling, honking noises just won't stop.

I've had screechy brakes before, but this is in a whole different league of loudness. What's worse is that this is in dry conditions! I can hardly think what they'll sound like in wet conditions.

Please let me know if you've any suggestions. My eardrums will thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well, I dont have one of these, but I've read some threads which mentioned about the banjos being prone to leaking oil. It could be the cause of your woes. You can also check if the pistons are leaking too.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Same Problem Here

I have M980 XTR brakes, using the Ice-Tek 160mm discs and am having squealing on all rides. Problem seems to be only on the front brake. I have cleaned the disc and caliper several times and the problem goes away for a ride or so, then returns.

I have also noticed that an oily film develops on the outside of the front caliper if I don't clean it regularly. I have been unable to detect any leaks after inspecting the cable and caliper, however, the oily residue keeps forming in the same area.

I suspect the pistons are leaking a small about of oil causing the squeal.

When I have time, I plan to leave it at the shop for warranty replacement.

For now, I plan to keep riding.

Jacksonn

mtbr member
    If the have the metal pads that could be part of the problem. My race set had resin pads stock and they were quiet as can be then when I installed the metal.......lets put it this way I don't need to warn other trail users that I'm coming. Going back to resin pads. They wear quicker but at least they're quiet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My brakes have stock resin pads

Mine still squeal with stock resin pads. Also, my brakes did not begin squealing until the brakes were on my bike for about 3-4 months, and now have continuous problems with the squeal.

Jacksonn

mtbr member
    Are you sure they're resin? My M988's came stock with metal and my M985 came stock with resin.

mtbr member
    Funny thing about this that goes way back to the original Hayes brakes. Every time you clean, and adjust them to eliminate noise, you change the contact surface and angle, and screw up the bedding/facing process. So just once, make sure the calipers are centered & straight (if possible). Then ride them. Get some heat into them. THEY WILL quiet down. It takes a few good hot descents. I expect my metalic pads to make a little more noise. It's the price you pay for better performance and heat tolerance. My M985's hardly made a noise the first five rides until I got to some "steeps". It was also muddy/rainy. Yeah, they made some noise, but the performance never changed.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the M985s with stock resin pads, never replaced. My wife's bike has the M988 that has stock pads with aluminum fins; I am not sure if her brake pads are resin or metal. BTW, her bike also has squealing brakes...only on the front.

Jacksonn

mtbr member
    XTR Air Raid Siren!!!

After originally thinking I had no leak contaminating the pad, I discovered I *did* in fact have one. It may be intermittant? Either way the leading banjo seems to be quite common. Check carefully.
    BikesCarsRacing.net
    I'm here for a good time not a long time.

mtbr member
    I just discovered my front M988 has a leaking banjo so it is in the shop. My rear M985 on another bike isn't leaking at the banjo but still howling like crazy. How can you tell if the piston is leaking. Bike has a couple hundred miles on it since last wash and the brakes look pretty clean overall???
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How did you correct the problem? Just tighten the bolt? Replace any parts including the pads?

Thanks again.

Jacksonn

Moosehead
    ^iInterested to hear if the caliper banjo can be tightened or if it is a crimp job and should be replaced. Please and thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    ^iInterested to hear if the caliper banjo can be tightened or if it is a crimp job and should be replaced. Please and thanks.
    I replaced. Contact Shimano. They should warranty.
    BikesCarsRacing.net
    I'm here for a good time not a long time.

mtbr member
    Just received news from the shop today that Shimano is sending a new hose, caliper and pads for my M988 and a new set of resin pads for my M985. Glad they're on top of it.
    The LPG