mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Help with decision on a setup...

Now this is low ball stuff, but hey, help me out anyway please...
    My wifes new bike came with an x4 shifter and x5 derailler in an 8-sp... on my shelf I have a new lx shifter and derailler along with a 9-sp cassette and chain, which would be the best setup? I am putting on a new bar and a set of pink jagwires anyway so everything is all ready apart...I am running the lx shifters on my prophet and like them, but I have never fooled with sram, other than on an old huffy...thnx
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

locked - time out

Honestly,

Do what your wife wants, it'll keep you out or trouble..

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    this bike is a surprise for Christmas, she has been riding a 820 trek hrdtail for two years with no complaints...so most any component will be an upgrade

mtbr member
    go with the shimano,my buddy has the same sram combo you mentioned above and bugger me if i can get it set up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    after taking a good look and feel of them, the sram is junk!!! granted, it is a real cheap part, the levers kinda flop around even though the screw is tight. I have seen better parts on the wal-mart bikes... It really is a no-brainer, sorry for wasting the thread space

mtbr member

To be fair..

Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf
    Now this is low ball stuff, but hey, help me out anyway please...
    My wifes new bike came with an x4 shifter and x5 derailler in an 8-sp... on my shelf I have a new lx shifter and derailler along with a 9-sp cassette and chain, which would be the best setup? I am putting on a new bar and a set of pink jagwires anyway so everything is all ready apart...I am running the lx shifters on my prophet and like them, but I have never fooled with sram, other than on an old huffy...thnx
    You are comparing the lowest end SRAM to a fairly high level Shimano. And as you concluded, the LX is of higher quality, IMO. Now, if it was Alivio or Nexave...it may be a different story..

person
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePharmer
    You are comparing the lowest end SRAM to a fairly high level Shimano. And as you concluded, the LX is of higher quality, IMO. Now, if it was Alivio or Nexave...it may be a different story..
    I'd say that X4 and X5 are basically the same components. My buddy has X4 on his bike and his bro has X5 on his, and I've noticed no defference in performance. They both have the same loose feel. I'd say that the Alivio/Deore Components are about in the same price bracket, and I've dealt with both of these with pretty nice results. They feel much more solid and reliable. Heck I was switching out my buddies SX4 Rear D because it bent from normal XC riding, and when I went to slide the new cable threw the cable port on the shifter I apparently wasn't gentle enough and all the gears inside the shifter went out of allignment. I had to spend 45min fixing it. I've never had any problem like this on anything Shimano i've tried, even the Alivio. I'm not anti-Sram by any means, If I had the money I'd love to give an X9 set-up a try. But the lower end Sram just doesn't compare.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I dont even know if the x4 stuff could compare with the acera level shimano, the shifters on my wifes acera equipped bike are ci-deck(I honestly do not know where these fit into the scheme of things), and they feel so much better than the x4 shifters, and they came on a $200 trek , honestly sram does not even need to attempt to fit into this price range, they can only scare customers away like this. Oh, and I understand the lx and x4 are on different levels, I only had the components on hand and was looking for help in deciding which setup to use, without test riding either. thnx for the help