Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

got the 08 XT brakes! :-D

4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  crisillo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

A friend of mine is building a new bike and was looking for a deal on brakes, so I sold him my pair of XT 760s and got the 08s.......... they look and feel good...first ride tomorrow :thumbsup:

The lines are still long, but I will cut them later :ihih:

some pics

See less See more
#5 ·
Tinshield said:
You need a photobucket account.....I actually saw the images earlier in the Yeti thread. Those brakes look awesome. I'm mulling a new Trek Fuel EX 9.0 which comes with the XT's.
why? my flickr account is not enough? :( :confused: (BTW, I do have a photobucket account, but prefer flickr ;) )

Thanks..yeah the brakes look and feel great! :thumbsup:

#7 · (Edited)
dnlwthrn said:
because your flickr account isn't letting us see the photos (here, or in the AM thread).
the guys on the Yeti and Titus forums didn't have any issues looking at them from what I gather.... maybe you have a domain blocker active?

dnlwthrn said:
Did you need to use a special adapter for the calipers to work with those rotors?
no special adapter necessary..I run the shimano adapters (203 f, 180 r)

#9 ·
Well the brakes do feel very nice.... the brakes came originally with organic pads, but I prefer metals and had a spare set around so I swapped them before installation.... that made the "break in" a little longer.... but after a couple of medium downhills... the power started kicking in..... the levers don't feel "as solid" as my older XTs once the pads contact the rotor (a bit mushy), so I suppose they can use a better bleed....

pad clearance looks very good... and the pistons reach the rotor fast...within 1 cm of lever movement... so far so good... I am playing with the adjustments... still seeing what I like best...

I'll keep posting back

#10 ·
Just curiously, it looks like the rotors aren't sitting far enough into the calipers? The wear path on the rotors look like it should be about a mil or two closer to the center of the rotor.

The only reason I mention it is that I suffered the same problem running Hope rotors in a Shimano caliper once. The pads sat too far out, and wore down much quicker due to a ridge in the pad where it wasn't coming into any contact with discs. Given your rotors look like circular saw blades, I thought this might accentuate the problem.

Or - it could all work perfectly. But I just wanted to check ...

#16 ·
Got my 08 XT brakes after this thread (and all the other threads regarding 08 XT in general) 2 weeks ago...

The weather here hasn't been the best, and I've been restricted to road rides! (luckily there's a lil hill nearby so I can stay in climbing shape)...

My front brake feels a bit more solid than the rear, though I guess it's just a brake-in (pun intended) issue. Can't wait for a real dirt ride to see what these babies can do. So far I've tinkered with the 'feel stroke' adjusters to keep my pointy-finger brake-happy.

So far I like the modulation (previous setup had Magura HS-33 hydro rim brakes), and for some strange reason it seems like I can trackstand longer with discs...could be unrelated though hehe

#17 ·
yycho2 said:
crisillo, u means there is not much difference in terms of performance...???
nope..the difference is there.... what I meant is that I find that the biggest upgrade is in the levers, more adjustments, more possiblilites for control layout.... I feel the 770s are a bit more powerful, requiring less effort at the lever... at least that's how I feel it... I still have a set of 760s on my SS and that's how it seems...

#21 ·
wheelhot said:
How come I cant find any info bout the RWS in DT Swiss website? Is it only available if you buy their wheelset? And I wonder how does the new CrankBros 2 step QR compare
ah.. I hadn't seen the new site..I'll take a look and post back when I find them there...

no need to have a DT hub.... I have a Hope pro 2 (I just needed to convert it to 10mm axle)

AFAIK, the CB 2-step is a standard QR (with a special lever), so it compares to the "standard" RWS, the one I have is the "thru bolt" RWS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.