Titanium is for real
    Feb 2008

Freehub removal XT M775 wheel

Hi,

I need some help to remove my freehub body one my XT M775 wheel. It is completely stuck i tried on the tube, but i canīt find anything suitable. I dont have the drawings of the hub

Thanks in advance

Kristian

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by morbergsmed
    It is completely stuck i tried on the tube, but i canīt find anything suitable.
    Not sure what you're referring to here.

Anyway, here is the drawing. Not the exact same hub as the M775 wheelset, but I'm sure the internals are the same:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830646671.pdf

You need a cone wrench to remove the axle (#3). I think it's 17mm. Then you need a 14mm hex wrench to remove the Body Fixing Bolt (#8).

Instructions:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830621150.PDF

ups and downs
    Here's the WH-M775 diagram, functionally it's the same as the XT rear hub diagram.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon
    Not sure what you're referring to here.

Anyway, here is the drawing. Not the exact same hub as the M775 wheelset, but I'm sure the internals are the same:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830646671.pdf

You need a cone wrench to remove the axle (#3). I think it's 17mm. Then you need a 14mm hex wrench to remove the Body Fixing Bolt (#8).

Instructions:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830621150.PDF
    A 17mm cone wrench and a 5mm hex to remove the axle. The "end cap" is the lock nut and you insert the 5mm into the end to turn it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Titanium is for real
    Feb 2008
    Hi again,

I have now removed the freehub. Is it possible to disassemble the freehub itself or is just a replaceable item?

The freehub will not turn at all. Is it a solution to put in a bath of some kind of degreaser?

and then of course regrease it again??

Thanks in advance

Kristain

mtbr member
    You'll need a new one.
    "It looks flexy"

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by morbergsmed
    Hi again,

I have now removed the freehub. Is it possible to disassemble the freehub itself or is just a replaceable item?

The freehub will not turn at all. Is it a solution to put in a bath of some kind of degreaser?

and then of course regrease it again??

Thanks in advance

Kristain
    It is possible but not worth it. Morning Star sells a tool called the free hub buddy to clean and lube the internals, but honestly it may be easier and faster for you to just replace it as clay said.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    oops, posted in wrong thread.
    Last edited by PretendGentleman; 01-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
    FH just blew up after 3 months. I was having issues with the hub loosening up so my shop replaced ALL the hub internals and freehub. I have been loving the Shimano UST rims but now that Mavic has released the 821 disc rims, these XT wheels are headed to the swap meet (after I replace the FH again.) The shops know these FHs stink and most have spares on hand. I called Shimano and they started asking if I had broken spokes, was the wheel detensioned then retensioned when spoke was replaced...I asked if they had thought about maybe ditching a clearly flawed FH and redesigning and they said I should send my wheel in so they can examine it. I may just do that after I build up a set of Chris King/821 wheels.
    Obviously, you're not a golfer.