mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Failing nondrive side cup bearings

i'm wearing out about 4-1 nondrive side ext. BB bearings compared to driveside. what's going on w/ you guys?
    breezy shade

Plays with tools
    Most people seem to be wearing out the drive side before the non drive. There isn't any reason you couldn't install a drive side bearing on the non drive side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Most people seem to be wearing out the drive side before the non drive. There isn't any reason you couldn't install a drive side bearing on the non drive side.
    wearing out the non-drive seems odd to me too. Universal sells Shimano singles for $9 so replacing the whole cup was the way to go for me.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I'm not seeing that pattern either. When you install the NDR bearing cup, does it feel tight while threading? Have you considered facing the BB shell to validate it's straight? If it's not straight, it may be putting abnormal loads on the bearings.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I'm not seeing that pattern either. When you install the NDR bearing cup, does it feel tight while threading? Have you considered facing the BB shell to validate it's straight? If it's not straight, it may be putting abnormal loads on the bearings.
    Checking the shell for squareness is an excellent idea. I've got to imagine if you're blowing through non-drive side bearings opposite of every one else something is slightly out of wack with your setup. The plastic inner to the Shimano BB is there to take up a slight amount of mis-alignment but if it's sever it won't be enough.

mtbr member

Re: Failing nondrive side cup bearings

I have had the same problem in the past with Shimano. XT and lx level bbs and both external and press fit bbs. I switched to an xtr on the old bike didn't have a problem with that then this year I am going to try the race face press fit on the new bike I'll see how it works out for me.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    it could be that the BB threading is off, but since it's a Ventana, i think it's unlikely. i know they're not infallible, but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. they last a 1000 plus mi. & Universal sells them for $9, so don't see it as an issue to be overly bummed about. mainly curious what's up.

thanks for the opinions
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Facing may help with unevenness of mounting surface, not the threads. It's possible that excess paint is causing the cup not to lay flat against the frame BB shell. Do the cranks spin smooth?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Facing may help with unevenness of mounting surface, not the threads. It's possible that excess paint is causing the cup not to lay flat against the frame BB shell. Do the cranks spin smooth?
    i don't know if you're familiar w/ Ventana, but their bikes are definately faced & chased. they really are known for supreme craftmanship & extreme attention to detail. check them out.

cranks spin as smooth as any i've ever spun
    breezy shade