mtbr member

E-Type front derailleur question.

I'm having a custom frame made, and due to the bend in the seat tube, I will need to use an E-Type front derailleur. My question is on BB compatibility. Can I use any BB? Or does the BB need to specifically be E-Type compatible. I've seen Shimano and Phil Wood E-Type compatible BB's.

What I'd like to do is use the White Industries VBC crankset or even the Middleburn Duo with a White Industries square taper BB.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Picture Unrelated
    Well, E-type will frequently have a wider drive cup to keep a good engagement in the hub. I think the Shimano ones have a raised section at the end of the cup to hold the der ring in place, but I don't have one in front of me to confirm or deny that. I don't think you should have any trouble mounting the White BB with e-type, but a quick email or phone call to their customer support is all it would take to find out. They've always been really friendly and very helpful with any questions I've had and where's a better place to get your information than the horse's mouth?

If it were me, I would run the e-type and White combo. You won't have as much thread insertion, but it should be adequate.

mtbr member
    According to White Industries, their bottom bracket is not E-Type compatible. I didn't ask why.

On a side note, I did ask Chris King, and their BB is E-Type Compatible. Doesn't do me any good if I want to use the White Industries cranks though. Looks like I'll need to go with a Phil Wood if I go the WI crank route.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    what about an e-type derailluer tab? any room for that set-up?

example: http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/products/nimble-9 (check the 2nd picture)