Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dyna-Sys With Other Chains

17K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Veda 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm looking around for cross compatibility options for Dyna-Sys. Can I use a regular 10s Chain such as the KMCX10SL? Everywhere I look it says it's specially designed for the Shimano HG-X Chains... hope I'm not stuck using these. I would like to run an XX Crank.

#4 ·
I'm currrently running XX shifters, XX rear derailleur, XX front derailleur, KMC X10SL chain, XT Dyna-Sys 11-34 cassette and an XTR 970 crankset (made into a 2X10 24/36 with Blackspire rings). The KMC chain shifts acceptably well on the XT cogset but not as quick as on the XX cogset on my other wheelset. I'd really like to try an XT Dyna-Sys chain to see how much better it'll be.
I have noticed that shifting is much better on my road bike when I use the latest generation of Ultegra cogset and Dura Ace chain. I can imagine that the Dyna-Sys stuff works flawlessly together.

#5 ·
Bog - do you mean front or rear shifting? I just rode my XT Dyna-sys with the X10SL gold chain and it's shifting really snappy, just like the XT chain did. But I'm running 1x10 so I don't know how the front would shift. Isn't that where both Shimano and SRAM did all the work, in the front?

#6 ·
Shimano also reprofiles both sides of the chain to shift better. Most people that run a Dyna-Sys chain with a Dyna-Sys cogset said the rear shifting was quicker and more precise than the 9spd kit. Nonetheless, I find that the X10SL chains shifts pretty well and have no complaints. Apparently it doesn't work so well with an 11-36 XX cogset because it gets hung up on the little shifting ramps on the aluminum 36t cog but that's the only complaint I've hear. Plus it's the best looking chain on the market.

#16 ·
Apparently it doesn't work so well with an 11-36 XX cogset because it gets hung up on the little shifting ramps on the aluminum 36t cog but that's the only complaint I've hear. Plus it's the best looking chain on the market.
I wish I had read this prior to getting that exact combo. So many problems...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.