mtbr member

Dyna-Sys With Other Chains

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking around for cross compatibility options for Dyna-Sys. Can I use a regular 10s Chain such as the KMCX10SL? Everywhere I look it says it's specially designed for the Shimano HG-X Chains... hope I'm not stuck using these. I would like to run an XX Crank.

ups and downs
    Shifting performance may be hit or miss as the Shimano cassette and chainrings have shiftramps designed to match the Shimano Dyna-sys inner and outer chain plate shapes.

If you're running XX cranks, why not run the XX cassette?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    My new bike came with the new XT 10 speed, but with an SLX triple, I would like to switch it out for an XX or possible an X0 double.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

bog
    mtbr member
    I'm currrently running XX shifters, XX rear derailleur, XX front derailleur, KMC X10SL chain, XT Dyna-Sys 11-34 cassette and an XTR 970 crankset (made into a 2X10 24/36 with Blackspire rings). The KMC chain shifts acceptably well on the XT cogset but not as quick as on the XX cogset on my other wheelset. I'd really like to try an XT Dyna-Sys chain to see how much better it'll be.
    I have noticed that shifting is much better on my road bike when I use the latest generation of Ultegra cogset and Dura Ace chain. I can imagine that the Dyna-Sys stuff works flawlessly together.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Bog - do you mean front or rear shifting? I just rode my XT Dyna-sys with the X10SL gold chain and it's shifting really snappy, just like the XT chain did. But I'm running 1x10 so I don't know how the front would shift. Isn't that where both Shimano and SRAM did all the work, in the front?
    "It looks flexy"

bog
    mtbr member
    Shimano also reprofiles both sides of the chain to shift better. Most people that run a Dyna-Sys chain with a Dyna-Sys cogset said the rear shifting was quicker and more precise than the 9spd kit. Nonetheless, I find that the X10SL chains shifts pretty well and have no complaints. Apparently it doesn't work so well with an 11-36 XX cogset because it gets hung up on the little shifting ramps on the aluminum 36t cog but that's the only complaint I've hear. Plus it's the best looking chain on the market.

mtbr member
    Well, who cares about XX. Sram stuff, blech! Yes, I know Shimano did some stuff. It's strange looking because one side of the chain has chamfers all over the place and the other is pretty flat.
    "It looks flexy"

siv
    mtbr member
    Running stock SLX 10 speed drivetrain on my Giant Reign 1. Looking to use a KMC chain but need to know what will actually work. Broke the SLX chain on the second ride, pulled the pin right outta the link in the granny ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone been using a kmc chain with dyna sys?
    working good or not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11
    working good or not?
    Yes I have been and it works like a dream.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    kmc 9 speed chain sl gold, xtr 11 34 9 speed cassette, and xtr 2011 10 speed dynasis cranks. so far so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub
    kmc 9 speed chain sl gold, xtr 11 34 9 speed cassette, and xtr 2011 10 speed dynasis cranks. so far so good.
    You wouldn't happen to be using GripShift would you?
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Yes I have been and it works like a dream.
    My bike has a dyna-sys XT drivetrain, which KMC chain are you using and would it work for my application. I'm trying to get away from carrying a chain tool.

thanks-

bog
    mtbr member
    The KMC X10SL chain works really well with Dynasys but you can also use any 10spd quick link with a Shimano chain.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11
    working good or not?
    X10 Ti on a SLX cassette (SRAM derailleurs and crankset), shifting is flawless and the chain is easy to install and remove.

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Apparently it doesn't work so well with an 11-36 XX cogset because it gets hung up on the little shifting ramps on the aluminum 36t cog but that's the only complaint I've hear. Plus it's the best looking chain on the market.
    I wish I had read this prior to getting that exact combo. So many problems...
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg