mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Dyna Sys chain durability

I have a Shimano Cn-hg74 Slx 10-speed chain that came stock on my new bike that I got in September 2010. I've been cleaning it regularly and this weekend I decided to measure the chain for wear just for kicks. Well to my surprise, it was worn out and I only have about 200 miles on it! I never measure it when I first got the bike to see how it measured in the chain checker. Has anyone else had any durability issues with the new 10 spd chains?

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    Same chain came on my 2011 Fuel EX8. I broke said chain after 100 miles. LBS replaced chain with XT DynaSys. He measured chain, and was stretched considerably. Have about 150 miles on XT chain. Not sure about stretch, but hasn't broken yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to replace mine with a XTR chain....but measure it first and often.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks like 4 months is all you'll get out of a HG74, mine has stretched to the point of replacement after coming stock on my bike in September (Trance SL1)
    Does anyone know the differences between SLX, XT & XTR chains (besides the obvious weight issues). Is XTR that much more reliable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    HMM, have a Shimano chain on my Fuel EX 7, and have 2 seasons on it, with over 1000 miles, and its not stretched out yet, and has never had an issue! NOt really sure how you could break or destroy a chain in 100 miles??

Also have a Trek 4300 disc, and a Trek 3800 that is probably 5-6 years old, both with original chains, and drivetrains, and they still shift perfect, with thousands of miles on those rigs???

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    Nov0798....sounds like your chain is not a DynaSys chain? Two seasons would indicate that it's a regular shimano chain. DynaSys chains just came out this past season. DynaSys chains were specifically designed for off road ten speed use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes you are correct, I don not have a Dyna Sys chain, but my point is, I cannot fathom how a chain could be worn so fast regardless of the line its in(dyna, xtr, xt, etc)? I cant imagine that the new chain is really any different in terms of durability than a standard chain. I of course attempt to clean and relube my chain, and sprockets completely after every ride, so that may be why my longevity is greater.

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    I too clean my drivetrain and entire bike religiously after every ride. I think the OP is questioning the durability of the new DynaSys chains. My LBS is closely following wear on new DynaSys chains. I have never broken a chain before this SLX level chain. That alone raises questions of durability for me, after only 100 miles, a brand new chain gets junked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well then that seals it for me, ill keep my heavier stuff, that lasts longer. Id rather be a pound heavier, and have reliability than have the new bling, and walking my bike.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Use a SRAM chain. Shimano chains...well...I never bother with them. My 1090r is still good after 4 months.
    I am immune to your disdain.