mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Dum XTR crankset question

Hello. So I just installed the Shimano FC-M970 crankset - and that all went swimmingly.

My question is about the adjustment nut (which is turned with the TL-FC17). I can't really figure out what it (the adjustment nut) does.

The documentation says to turn the adjustment nut in order to adjust the play. What does "play" mean in this context? Sorry, I'm a mechanical noob!

Also should there be any gaps between the adjustment nut and the crank arm side, or between the adjustment nut and the bottom bracket side?

Cheers!

ups and downs
    The adjustment nut is supposed to be turned to eliminate the gap between the crank and the BB bearing. There may well be a gap until you do wind that nut in toward the BB shell.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    the play they're talking about is the side-to-side play of the crankset inside the bottom bracket.

with the adjustment ring flush against the crank arm, you will have lots of play. that's no good. by threading the adjustment ring until it's flush against the bottom bracket, you remove all play and preload the bearings. it's only supposed to be hand tight.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    oh, and there should be a gap between the nut and the crank arm. it shouldn't be that big of a gap, but it's there. if you have any more than 2 or 3mm, then you probably didn't use enough spacers on the bottom bracket shells.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Great. Thanks, that makes things clearer.