mtbr member
    May 2009

dual control lever replaced with reg. lever blade

are the lever/shifter combo on the dual control lever compatible with a regular brake lever blade.just want to get rid of the shifter but keep the brakes.they are older xtr st-m965,and the mounting points look close but i don't have a lever to try it with.
    cheers,
    jon

the catalan connection
    XTR 965 Dual Controls use Banjo end fittings. If the lever you want to replace it with has banjo-type fluid entry, then no problem. But if the lever is for in-line fluid entry, youŽll have to replace the banjo fitting in the hose for the corresponding in-line one. Just had to do this with mine when decided to get rid of the dual controls and fit xtr 970 separate brake levers. No problem either.
    Good luck
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

ups and downs
    I think he's hoping to just replace the lever blade with a standard lever blade from a 965/966 series disc brake lever. Unfortunately there is no tech doc listed for the standard disc brake handle, just the DC, so there's no easy way to check.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yes just want to replace the blade,and i guess the way to check will be to try it.i'll post up the results.

mtbr member

bump - similar situation?

wanted to check on the results of this retrofit. i believe i am looking to do the same thing. i have the dual control set up but want to use just the brake calipers. not sure exactly what parts needed to do it. can you shed some light?

certified mtb addict
    I made the change from dual control back to regular shifter a few years ago, it never even crossed my mind that I might have only had to swap the blades rather than the entire lever assemblies.
    I'm in a foreign land at the moment and my bike & old parts are in storage half a wold away (literally) so I can't just pull out my old dual controls to check unfortunately!
    Looking at Shimano's tech docs for my generation gear (M765 XT) there's two differences I can see. The reservoir body has a slightly different profile to allow the shifting mechanism to clear the angled bit of the body that ramps up to the master cylinder's lid. Second difference I see is the pivot axle for the lever blade - different mounting hardware. Impossible to tell from the tech docs alone if this is cross compatible.
    Sorry I'm not more help, but I am interested to see how this pans out for you.

Edit: Just re-read your post bandit - if it's only the calipers you're wanting to recycle they should be compatible with any Shimano lever combination.