Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Does cage look to long?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MartinS 
#1 ·
I upgraded from the old Shimano XT 760 to the Shadow. I'm not sure if I like the cage being so low to the ground, I can just see it being damaged by a rock any day now. What do you think?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like you have the SGS (long cage version), your old derailleur may have been a GS (med cage). This isn't the end of the world, but you may want to add a couple of links to the chain, that will allow the derailleur to com forward a bit more. As a general rule of thumb, when you have the chain on the large chainring up front and the smallest cog on the rear the top pulley should sit directly above the lower pulley, if the chain is the proper length

#7 ·
Thanks all......

I asked my LBS if I could swap it back to the ol' 760 and they said no problemo....they rock!! The Shadow was $119 and would of been ripped off within two weeks and the old 760 is $60 and will hopefully last longer than that!

#8 ·
?? Just curious, did you try any of the suggestions? I have run an SGS caged Shadow most of the summer and it never looked like the way yours did. I did replace it with a GS later as the SGS was purchased on ebay ($45) and the seller didn't list the size and I didn't ask. I had no issues with hitting the derailleur while it was on my bike and I live in an area with some very technical riding, I find that the Shadow can take a lot more abuse than a standard derailleur and it shifts more solidly, as well as no longer hitting my chainstay.
Personally I'd be more concerned with damaging your wheel set up if you live in an area with a lot of trail debris, with the minimal spokes, reminds me of those Rolfs Trek used to sell, they were definitely more prone to picking up sticks, bending spokes and ripping derailleurs clean off... although by your picture rocks may be a bigger issue than twigs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.