bikexor

Do XTR V brakes require special studs?

---X Post from "Brake Time"---

I picked up a set of XTR V brakes on craigslist ($35! Score!) but the studs I have on my frame now don't seem to fit right. When I slide the brake onto the stud there at least 8-9 mm of space between the end of the stud and the end of the brake (pic 1). Additionally, the flanges where you would put a wrench on the stud prevent the brake from totally seating into the spring hole... not good (pic 2). The rear allows the pin to sit completely, but there's still 8-9mm of gap between the stud end and brake end (pic 3).

I tried to order the part "XTR V Brake Mounting Bolt" (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t.aspx?sc=FRGL) from Jenson and got a set of 10mm long 5mm hex bolts (wtf?). There wasn't a pic of what I was ordering online so I figured it had to be right (wrong!).

Does anyone know of specific studs for XTR or XT V Brakes that I need to order and where to find them. I took the brake and wrong-sized studs into the LBS and they didn't have anything on the shelf and couldn't find anything in the catalog either.

Hell, I'll even buy a set from someone if you've got any kicking around!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    How do those work without rotors?

Legend
    Nov 2004
    How about a pic of YOUR brake studs? To be honest, a quick look and I think the studs on my CX are considerably longer than the ones on your bike ... I can snap a pic when I am home (or even measure them, crudely). I could be mistaken, admittedly, I haven't dealt with anything on my CXs brakes since I installed me new ones about 9 mos ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKracing
    How do those work without rotors?
    No rotors. They are V brakes.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

This is a guess

But from the pictures it looks as if you are trying to install v brakes onto your fork directly. The bosses as they are called screw into your fork, and then the v brakes screw into the bosses.

This can't be right as you've simply removed your old brakes and not the bosses, right?

Standard brake bolts from any shop will work...they have to be less than $1 a piece.

Check the boss thing out though if you don't have them. I've got a ton if you need 2.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dude you need the posts that screw into the threading that you're pointing at with your allen wrench.

mtbr member
    Maybe when you unscrewed your old v-brakes you pulled off the posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    No rotors. They are V brakes.
    Are these things new?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are these things new?

They are old XTR V-brakes (linear pull).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1

They are old XTR V-brakes (linear pull).
    I don't get it. How do they work without rotors?

bikexor
    I don't get it. How do they work without rotors?
    Dude, go be a turd in someone else thread... c'mon.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

bikexor
    OK, here's what's up.

GNR - I'm not trying to install directly onto my fork. I'm not that bad of a mechanic.

Donoman - The threads you see are the threads inside the brake boss.

This weekend I visited all the bike shops around town (5 different ones) with my fork, studs, and brakes. I got a few funny looks, but I spit mad game and got some info. It seems like the length of the stud that I have now is ok. I guess it supports the main part of the brake arm and that should be enough. The problem of greater concern was the flanges at the base of the stud not allowing the spring pin to seat all the way into the hole in the fork. I collected form two different shops studs with little to no flange and they seat fine now. I will post pictures soon just to make this more clear for everyone.
    Little Shred Riding Hood