Thread: DCL Shifters...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

DCL Shifters...

I am building up a new bike. I have already bought the new 07 XTR rear der., rapid rise. Now I am having second thoughts about going with the DCL levers. Will the new rapid fire shifters work good with a low normal rear der.? I am not sure if I want to run the XTR brakes or something else, seems like if I go with the DCL I have to use the XTR brakes with them.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    The normal shifters will work fine... it is just a matter of you getting used to the rear trigger working "backwards".

I run a rapidrise XT RD with the 07 XT rapidfires, after switching from DCs... no biggie!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk
    I am building up a new bike. I have already bought the new 07 XTR rear der., rapid rise. Now I am having second thoughts about going with the DCL levers. Will the new rapid fire shifters work good with a low normal rear der.? I am not sure if I want to run the XTR brakes or something else, seems like if I go with the DCL I have to use the XTR brakes with them.
    The dual controls are great depending on what type of riding you are doing. I've got old XTR duals on a long travel trail bike (5.5") and I'm happy with them. Wish I could afford the new stuff though. It looks great. I have friend who is using a XT low normal derailleur with triggers and I think it works very well. More intuitive than the high normal. Your thumbs, both left and right, (front and back) shift you into a bigger gear and the triggers drop you into a lower gear.

By the way, why would you not want to use XTR brakes? I'm using mine, the older type, with 8" rotors and they work very well. I had to use XT rotors but Shimano are now making 8" XTR rotors.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the response.

I dont know that I dont want the XTR brakes. I dont like not having an option I guess. Or do I? Can I run the DCL levers with any mineral oil brake? Or do they only work with shimano?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk
    Thanks for the response.

I dont know that I dont want the XTR brakes. I dont like not having an option I guess. Or do I? Can I run the DCL levers with any mineral oil brake? Or do they only work with shimano?
    I don't see why not, except that most brakes are sold as a set. Magura, which also uses mineral oil, usually comes bled and ready for use.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    You cant use DCL's with other calipers. you can interchange any SHIMANO levers and calipers but not with other manufacturers. I dont even know why you would want to. The Shimano brake is probably the best one out there right now. Although the DCL is the shifter as well, it is still part of the brake system. you wouldnt try changing a Hayes caliper with someone elses lever would you?
    Use the XTR brakes, they are awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting the bike all built up and going for a ride on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Personally i would get the previous model xtr shifter, but thats because i like to have a gear indicator. Got rid of xo shifters because it was just too dangerous keep looking down to see which ring i was in, plus the fact i just didnt like them. Shimano still rules for me.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    You can always use a inline cable indicator off a road group.

mtbr member
    exactly! very cheap little gadget, looks a cinch to install too.
    If you are really not wanting to limit yourself to Shimano callipers in the future then get the rapidfire shifters. Personally, I wouldn't look any further than Shimano brakes though. All the ones I use/have used are great (Deore-oldxt-xt-xtr), it's a very easy to bleed, trouble-free system.

TranceX Rider
    Got mine last Yule... Just took off the indicators from my '06 flippies & slapped 'em to my '07. Voilą! But I think there's no need anymore of those once you get commune with your bike. But I shouldav removed 'em long time ago, I'll just leave it that way. LoL!

Be safe, everyone!

Ride insp¹®ed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?