WheelBanger
    Jun 2010

Correct SPD cleat contact?

I'm using the XTR trail pedals with the multi release cleats, which I just mounted on a new pair of shoes. My question is, should the cleat make contact and sit flat on the pedal? My cleats click in and out with no problem, but when I looked at the interface between the pedal and cleat, they do not sit flat against the pedal, should it?
    Last edited by bluesrider; 07-30-2013 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesrider View Post
    I'm using the XTR trail pedals with the multi release cleats...
    Why?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    OK. The Multi release cleat is meant for a beginner/timid rider who is concerned with getting "trapped" on the pedals. The Multi release cleats will release in the wrong situations for mountain biking which could lead to a crash.

The single release cleat is the one meant for mountain biking. Those pedals are awesome...get the single release cleats for them...you can still turn the tension way down for an easier release.

If you want the ultimate easy release get the new Saint pedals with smooth soled Mtn bike shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Correct SPD cleat contact?

Shimano web site doesn't specify the multi direction release for the xtr pedals 980 and 985

May be a typo or design difference

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman55 View Post
    OK. The Multi release cleat is meant for a beginner/timid rider who is concerned with getting "trapped" on the pedals. The Multi release cleats will release in the wrong situations for mountain biking which could lead to a crash.

The single release cleat is the one meant for mountain biking. Those pedals are awesome...get the single release cleats for them...you can still turn the tension way down for an easier release.

If you want the ultimate easy release get the new Saint pedals with smooth soled Mtn bike shoes.
    Funny, I use the multi release cleats and actually XC race, and havent ever had one release ... Ive never had a case of them releasing in a "wrong situation for mountain biking"... and youd think in a 2 hour RACE, it would happen.... If you twist your foot around while pedaling? maybe it would release, hence the "multi angle release" part of its name..
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Funny, I use the multi release cleats and actually XC race, and havent ever had one release ... Ive never had a case of them releasing in a "wrong situation for mountain biking"... and youd think in a 2 hour RACE, it would happen.... If you twist your foot around while pedaling? maybe it would release, hence the "multi angle release" part of its name..
    Multi release cleats are not for mountain biking. Many riders in my area who ride hybrid bikes on paved bike trails even request single release cleats over the multi release. Just because you RACE means nothing, I've had accidental releases with single release cleats from rock strikes and bad landings. As stated earlier, OP, get single release cleats for the added security while riding and adjust pedal spring tension for easy release at first. There is no point to use multi release cleats while mountain biking unless you don't know what you're doing, no offense SandSpur.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you are an aggressive rider the Multi could be dangerous.
    I like them but they do unclip, but I use the DX platforms , which gives some stability when that happens.
    Usually when body english is needed, that is when they unclip, never when pulling up, never at speed.
    I've used the XT trails w multi and they work well but not as forgiving.
    Weight has a lot to do with it too. They unclip much easier if you are 250

To answer the original question. Your sole does not rest on the platform, it is basically there to provide some stability when unclipped. IMO