mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Combining LX 9sp w/ 8sp?

I'm as bemused as one can be. Currently, I have a bike that runs an 8sp cassette with a standard triple ring setup. The bike is in the process of a complete drivetrain overhaul.

My question is, can I run an LX rapid rise 9sp rear derailleur with an 8sp cassette, shifters and chain, using standard LX hollowTech cranks?

Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zredbullz
    I'm as bemused as one can be. Currently, I have a bike that runs an 8sp cassette with a standard triple ring setup. The bike is in the process of a complete drivetrain overhaul.

My question is, can I run an LX rapid rise 9sp rear derailleur with an 8sp cassette, shifters and chain, using standard LX hollowTech cranks?

Much appreciated.
    I've never tried it but logic says that there should be no problem. The 8 speed indexing is controlled by the shifters. Post your question again on the "Everything Drivetrain" forum. You'll probably get a confirmation.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    you wont have a problem. the indexing is done at the shifter and the limits are the same for 8 and 9 speed so the RD has the ability to move from one side of the cassette to the other.