mtbr member

Hope Cheapest XT 9sp conversion to 10sp

I am running full 3x9 XT and would like to convert to 3x10 XT

Whats the cheast way??
    casset 10sp is sram interchangeable with shamano
    chain 10sp is sram interchangeable with shamano
    Mech 10 sp
    shifter (can I use a 10sp XT with the new XTR mech)

I have found in the past that sram casset and chain wear better than XT.

Mig
    Rolling & Tumbling

mtbr member
    Yes you can I run SRAM cassette and chain with 10spd xt shadow rear mech and shifter

mtbr member
    I just set up my poor mans 10sp set up a few days ago and I'm loving it. I'm running a 9sp system up front and 10spd in the back. All I purchased was a dyna rear shifter, dyna rd, dyna cassette, and dyna chain. Works great you just have to adjust the front mech a little bit. I'm waiting for the 38-24 xt crank to come out this summer before I go full 10sp.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The answer to all of your questions is yes. Also keep in mind that you can use your existing 9 speed front shifter, so if you can find a rear 10 speed shifter for a good price you can save some money there.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpete61 View Post
    I just set up my poor mans 10sp set up a few days ago and I'm loving it. I'm running a 9sp system up front and 10spd in the back. All I purchased was a dyna rear shifter, dyna rd, dyna cassette, and dyna chain. Works great you just have to adjust the front mech a little bit. I'm waiting for the 38-24 xt crank to come out this summer before I go full 10sp.
    Your running 9spd chainrings, and front derailleur? No problems with the 10spd chain on there? Im thinking in the middle ring and biggest rear cog may have some more issues since the chain is thinner.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    Your running 9spd chainrings, and front derailleur? No problems with the 10spd chain on there? Im thinking in the middle ring and biggest rear cog may have some more issues since the chain is thinner.
    So far so good. The only place I had any trouble was getting the front mech set up just right, it took some trial and error. I think by now I have logged over 300 miles on the system and it is working great. I find myself spending much more time in the middle ring now than any other ring, which has convinced me to switch over to a 2x10 system. I'm going to wait till I wear this front end out first, but next time I buy a new crankset it will be a 2X.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    I've run 10speed road chains through 9 speed front derailleurs with no problems at all. I would expect the same with the new mountain stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I picked up a full pull-off set from flea-bay for under $550.