mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Centerlock oversize lockring frustration

I'll pre-emptively concede that this post is just whining. Unless someone wants to sell an oversize lockring . . .

First of all, let me say that I love centerlock mounting. I've used it for years on my XC bike. No complaints with the fundamental technology.

My complaint is facing a $30+ expenditure for a lockring. Shimano rotors all ship with the normal lockring (that uses a cassette tool for install). So you must buy an oversize SM-HB20 lockring if you're using 15mm or 20mm axle. Worse, these are out of stock most places, and the places that do have them are asking $30 or more. Ridiculous.

Perhaps more ridiculous is that Shimano ships 203mm rotors with a normal lockring. C'mon Shimano. How many people are riding 203mm rotors these days with a 9mm quick release axle?

Shimano ships even the largest rotors with a lockring that is usless for 15mm or 20mm hub mounting. And then they don't bother to build/ship enough of the correct lockrings to ensure a reasonable supply.

The price spread on these is also ridiculous. I've found prices ranging from $6.99 to $40.99 on the SM-HB20. Too bad the in-stock options are all over $30 (plus shipping).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Perhaps more ridiculous is that Shimano ships 203mm rotors with a normal lockring. C'mon Shimano. How many people are riding 203mm rotors these days with a 9mm quick release axle?
    Lots of people use 203 rotors on the rear that take a "normal" lockring.
    And to my knowledge Shimano ships their 15 and 20mm hubs with the appropiate lockring. Maybe other hubmakers doesnt , but is that Shimanos fault ?

ups and downs
    In Stock at Universal cycles at $23 Universal Cycles -- Shimano Disc Rotors & Rotor Parts
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by caspar View Post
    Lots of people use 203 rotors on the rear that take a "normal" lockring.
    And to my knowledge Shimano ships their 15 and 20mm hubs with the appropiate lockring. Maybe other hubmakers doesnt , but is that Shimanos fault ?
    Good point, some folks do run large rear rotors which would use the normal ring. Personally I see large rotors far more commonly on front than rear, especially given the power of the current generation of Shimano brakes, so the majority of the lockrings supplied with large Shimano rotors go unused. You're also right that Shimano ships the oversize axle hubs/wheels with lockrings, and normal axle hubs without lockrings, which is thoughtful. But if you've got a second hand wheel, or a hub from a centerlock licensee, you've got to find one on your own. Not Shimano's fault, but they could take actions that help.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    In Stock at Universal cycles at $23 Universal Cycles -- Shimano Disc Rotors & Rotor Parts
    Currently showing none in stock, although they do say stock expected on Wed or Fri. $23, better than $35 but still painful for a lockring.

I found a DT one for $14 that is in stock, so that appears to be my best option. I'll quit whining now . . .

Plays with tools
    They ship the correct lockring with the wheels. Did your hub/wheel not come with a locking? They have to ship the a lockring with the rotor because of the patent they have on it.

Epic rider

Re: Centerlock oversize lockring frustration

DT Swiss also makes them, as does Formula.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro