D93
    banned
    Oct 2011

Can I fit Race Face "Race" model chainrings on my XTR M980 triple Crankset?

I want to change to 22/34/bash. Crankset bolt pattern is 104/64. Is there anything different about the Shimano chainrings that wouldn't allow me to change to the Race Face rings?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    bump?

ups and downs
    XTR cranks use a thicker granny gear than anyone else, so the mounting posts on the cranks will need to be spaced out for a RF ring otherwise the ring will sit to close to the arms.

They also have a different offset for the 104mm spider arm mounting tabs than everyone else, just a couple of mm, but enough that you may need some thin spacers to get the chainring spacing to be where it needs to be at 5mm, and to make sure the bashring has enough clearance to the middle ring to prevent chain rub.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

D93
    banned
    Oct 2011
    I've been on the fence with the XTR, or the Raceface SixC. Weight is about the same I found a deal on the SixC which brings the price within $50 of the XTR and I can do a 22/34 with a bash..

Why does Shimano make the XTR so inflexible.

bog
    mtbr member
    Blackspire makes some nice 970 XTR compatible rings with the correct offsets. I've been running them for a while and they look great and are durable. I'm not sure if 980 has the same offset but it is worth a look. Shifting isn't nearly as good as Shimano but with some tooth profiling with my Dremel tool I've been able to make them shift faultlessly.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070