she keep you buying rats

Best way to remove external BB top hat?

...without breaking it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This ring?

Hmmm... let me check my Shimano tech manual...

Nope. Nothing. Sorry.

Seriously, I've had decent luck with a slotted screwdriver and some patience prying from the inner lip, not the outer. They're so cheap, though, I usually don't even bother messing with them.

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you want to pull that to get access to your bearings?

This tool is handy for just replacing the bearings and if you purchase bearings you also get a replacement dust shield.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id114.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    I'm assuming you want to pull that to get access to your bearings?

This tool is handy for just replacing the bearings and if you purchase bearings you also get a replacement dust shield.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id114.html
    I have the enduro took also and it works great (pays for itself after a couple of years). Phil Wood also makes a similar tool...

agu
    mtbr member
    rubber mallet and a wooden chopstick worked for me. needs a bit of "gentle persuasion".

agu
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    just us a pick tool

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Shimano's external BBs are not easily serviceable by the end user as per their design intent.

My attempts at removing the dust cap without damage have been unsuccessful. But its no big deal since the bearings in the BB were already toast (rusted in place). Even if the dust cap was removed its difficult to pop out the bearing without an expensive bearing puller tool i.e. Enduro tool because there is no offset between the bearing and the inside of the cup.

I ended up replacing the entire BB with Hope which is much more user friendly as seen in their maintenance video i.e. easy to remove the seals to regrease and pop out without having to use an expensive bearing puller.

Near the middle of the video they show how easy it is to remove the seal & pop out the bearing.

Hope BB maintenance video

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Get a thin flathead screwdriver in there and gently pry around the edges. It will start to pop off.

The Shimano external BBs really arent that hard to service, you just have to do it frequently. My shimano BB ran dry and felt really rough so I bought an Enduro bottom bracket and it's much much better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hit the whole thing with a hair dryer for 4-5 minutes, on disassembly/reassembly. carefully pry out with a flat-bladed screwdriver, working your way around slowly. pop the seal beneath. degrease/grease just like a ck headset (wd-40/simple green/heat/air/grease of choice). hitting the cartridge bearing with heat just prior to greasing with a fine tip grease gun tends to let the lubrication agent move around more easily.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Use a paint can opener to hook it it from the inside of the center part - that's where the lip is that holds it in place. Prying along the outer edge only cracks it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks alot to both the original and OP

this will surely help big time