mtbr member
    Apr 2004

bash rings for new 96mm BCD pattern on M782 cranks??

Got myself a new XT M782 crankset with the 30T middle ring, and would like to swap out the 40T outer ring for a bashguard.

Anyone out there making 96mm BCD bashes yet?? I did some searches and couldn't find any. Also emailed some boutique bash makers, but haven't heard back from them.

I haven't used an outer ring in 6 years, so I'm afraid I'll destroy the 40T pretty quickly since I'm in the habit of ignoring tree and rock rollovers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have the same problem. Any news on that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I haven't found any. I did talk to BBG about making some, but he wasn't very interested. He was willing to do a custom order w/ a minimum order of 20 units at $12 each. I thought about it, but wasn't excited about being an eBay vendor for the other 19 units.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

retarded product

the single dumbest trend right now... offer another mountain triple.

i spent 10 minutes on the phone with shimano tech support trying to get the BCD and they didn't know it. a little google search and here it's their rings or nothing.

race face said they have no plans to support it with narrow wide rings, so it looks like a stupid crank that will be doing nothing but getting in my way.

time to get a new raceface or something nice aftermarket...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I love my 22/30 combo.

The "retarded" part from my perspective is that the narrow/wide ring guys are slow to embrace it. The 96mm BCD would permit a native 30T ring, and probably a 28T ring using offset threaded holes (like the Wolf Tooth Components 30T for 104 BCD). 28T and 30T rings should be highly desirable for folks doing 1x10 on the cheap.

You might ping Wolf Tooth about their plans. I asked them last summer and they said that were considering it but hadn't put their hands on one of the 96mm cranks yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just got a new Remedy 650b and was converting it to 1x10 when I noticed that my race face narrow wide 104bcd wouldn't fit.

I'm going to try running the 30 tooth Shimano chainring by itself and see if I have any chain drops.

Anyone tried this?

mtbr member
    Do the new 29er/650b "specific" doubles+bash (as seen here) still use 4x104bcd cranks or are they 96bcd? I search but can't find the specs.

bash rings for new 96mm BCD pattern on M782 cranks??-new-mtb-fc-fd.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The crank model numbers shown in the photo above are all 104 BCD models. The 96mm pattern is on the M782 and M672 models. So unfortunately the new 2x + bash models don't help.

BTW, the new 11 speed XTR group also moved to a smaller BCD to support a "native" 30T ring. But from what I can tell from the photos, Shimano created yet ANOTHER bolt pattern to support it!! It looks to be the same diameter as the 96mm BCD, but the holes aren't symmetrically placed in the circle; instead, the pattern is sort of an X instead of a + if that makes sense.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    The crank model numbers shown in the photo above are all 104 BCD models. The 96mm pattern is on the M782 and M672 models. So unfortunately the new 2x + bash models don't help.

BTW, the new 11 speed XTR group also moved to a smaller BCD to support a "native" 30T ring. But from what I can tell from the photos, Shimano created yet ANOTHER bolt pattern to support it!! It looks to be the same diameter as the 96mm BCD, but the holes aren't symmetrically placed in the circle; instead, the pattern is sort of an X instead of a + if that makes sense.
    Yeah, they did that with their Dura Ace and Ultegra road cranks. Not sure what the point is, exactly.

This is interesting to me as well. I was just about to pull the trigger on the same cranks. CRC has them for $175 shipped. Perfect for me on paper. They got the 30t middle ring, 180mm crank arm option, and I can file the 64mm bcd granny spider to take my 20t action tech granny ring to get my ideal 20/30/40 (or 42) ring combo. I'm just wondering in a year or two when I wear out the middle ring if I can find a replacement. THen again, they are going on my 29er hardtail, and I change up my bikes a lot, so maybe it won't see that many annual miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I really, really, really like the 30T ring. Combined with an 11-36 cassette, it covers a wide range of my riding. I still use the 22T on sustained climbs, but when I shift to the 22T, I'm typically in it for a while.

In the past, the 32T middle ring just didn't cut it for a lot of climbs, even short ones or modest gradients. Especially when I was on the 34T 9 speed cassettes. So I was shifting back and forth between 22T and 32T a lot.

Now I'm totally content with a 22/30 on my burly bike, and a 22/30/40 on my marathon/race bike. I have no interest in any 1X configurations, but I still wish I could find a bash ring for the 22/30 combo.

ballbuster
    Well, I guess that 30t middle ring is actually carbon reinforced steel. It should last a while.

Okay, I'm pulling that trigger.

I ride up a lot of really steep sustained stuff, but maybe I will just try the 22t granny gear.... see how it goes. Heck, I learned to somehow do most of the regular climbs I do with a singlespeed, right?

I'm just hoping they don't discontinue this oddball chainring size too quickly. I'd hate to have to toss a set of cranks because I couldn't find that goofy chainring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Mx82 rings are available at bike-components.de pretty affordably (30T middle for ~ $20/SLX and $24/XT:

Shimano XT Kettenblatt FC-M782 10-fach gnstig online kaufen - bike-components

Shimano SLX Kettenblatt FC-M672 10-fach Modell 2014 gnstig online kaufen - bike-components

In my experience Shimano is reasonably good about maintaining supply for consumable components. Although the dealers in the US tend to make it hard and/or expensive. Seems once a year I'm always doing an order to Germany for chains, cassettes, rings, etc.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    The Mx82 rings are available at bike-components.de pretty affordably (30T middle for ~ $20/SLX and $24/XT:

Shimano XT Kettenblatt FC-M782 10-fach gnstig online kaufen - bike-components

Shimano SLX Kettenblatt FC-M672 10-fach Modell 2014 gnstig online kaufen - bike-components

In my experience Shimano is reasonably good about maintaining supply for consumable components. Although the dealers in the US tend to make it hard and/or expensive. Seems once a year I'm always doing an order to Germany for chains, cassettes, rings, etc.
    I ordered the cranks. Something tells me I should buy a couple of 30t middle rings to keep on the shelf. Thanks for the tip on that shop! Yeah, 20Euro is not a bad price... probably what... $25-28 these days?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just got a new Remedy 650b and am going through this same issue and its driving me crazy! Nobody makes a 96bcd anything. I have searched high and low. Wolfstooth isn't making one till Fall. I have been running just the 30t ring with a ethirteen top guide and haven't had a single chain drop...but the 30T ring spins out and I feel like I'm pedaling too fast all the time. I'm biting the bullet today and buying cheap SLX crankset for now and keeping the XT so when they do eventually make a single ring for this new bcd I can swap it back out. Ridiculous if you ask me!!

And yes even with the clutch rear derailure you will drop your chain every 50 feet! Been there tried that.

Pay 4 grand for a bike and have to buy a new crankset right away. Not cool if you ask me.
    It's not how many times you fall, it's how many times your willing to dust yourself off and get back up again.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiek118 View Post
    I just got a new Remedy 650b and am going through this same issue and its driving me crazy! Nobody makes a 96bcd anything. I have searched high and low. Wolfstooth isn't making one till Fall. I have been running just the 30t ring with a ethirteen top guide and haven't had a single chain drop...but the 30T ring spins out and I feel like I'm pedaling too fast all the time. I'm biting the bullet today and buying cheap SLX crankset for now and keeping the XT so when they do eventually make a single ring for this new bcd I can swap it back out. Ridiculous if you ask me!!

And yes even with the clutch rear derailure you will drop your chain every 50 feet! Been there tried that.

Pay 4 grand for a bike and have to buy a new crankset right away. Not cool if you ask me.
    Well, new 'standards'. I guess it's only a standard if somebody else makes the same size too. Doesn't SRAM do 94mm bcd 4 arm? Seems that isn't too much Dremel work to make that fit.... without seeing it myself.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Well, new 'standards'. I guess it's only a standard if somebody else makes the same size too. Doesn't SRAM do 94mm bcd 4 arm? Seems that isn't too much Dremel work to make that fit.... without seeing it myself.
    BTW, got the cranks installed, and they've been on one 10 mile ride so far. I gotta say.... stellar! I love these gear ratios! I have another Action Tec 20t on order, at which point I'll void my warranty when I bevel out the spider and make it fit.

I'm also happy to report that the 10 speed triple cranks works perfectly with my 9 speed shifter, 9 speed front derailleur, and 9 speed chain. I didn't even have to adjust anything from my M761 XT cranks that I moved to another bike. Spot on perfect shifting right out of the box!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have had decent luck with mine. I wouldn't mind finding a 32 middle and taking the 40 off and grinding the teeth down and making it into a double. I figure I can make a bash guard out of the 40, but on last nights ride, I used all 3 up front. so, who knows.

mtbr member
    May 2014