mtbr member
    Jun 2009

anyone running low normal der. with XTR SL970?

Apparently the XTR SL970 shifter pods can be used with both top normal and low normal (rapid rise) derailleurs with the former being preferred. Anyone have first hand experience with running the low normal with these shifters? Do they work well? I have 12 year old XT shifters that are begging to be upgraded.

Thanks - K

mtbr member
    I haven't been on the Shimano forum for a while and only just saw your post.

I have a preference for using low normal derailleurs as they result in a higher gear with the thumb lever on both the back and front shifters. I have used only low normal for the past six years. On my last two bikes I have used XTR M970 shifters and they work perfectly. One with a XT derailleur and the other an XTR.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Howell, MI
    I run 970 shifters and a Low normal 970 derailleur and have never felt better shifting performance.
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr1
    I run 970 shifters and a Low normal 970 derailleur and have never felt better shifting performance.
    I fully agree with you. I am concerned however that Shimano will be dropping the low normal derailleur in the future. The new 10 speed DYNA-SYS has only got high normal derailleurs. That seems to apply to SLX, XT and XTR.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Is this it for rapid rise???

I am wondering too if this is the end of the line for rapid rise? It seems they phased out dual control this year as well.
    Rapid rise is the only reason I have stuck with shimano all these years. I have both dual control and M970 sl shifters working with low normal derailleurs. They require such little force on the thumbs to shift and are quick to release into easier hears! Love them!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    XTR SL970 with M960 XTR rear derailleur (rapid rise). Shifts like butter... especially noticeable when climbing.

I've started hoarding rapid rise derailleurs just in case.

tk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971
    XTR SL970 with M960 XTR rear derailleur (rapid rise). Shifts like butter... especially noticeable when climbing.

tk
    Don't hoard too many. You may find that high end 9 speed cassettes will become increasingly rare and you can not use 9 speed derailleurs with 10 speed cassettes.

Ronnie.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971

tk
    Interesting. I've heard people rave about the M960 - moreso than the M970. I've got a low normal XTR M970 med cage running with a rapid-fire XT M770 shifter, and it's pretty darn clunky no matter how hard I try to tune it.

My low normal XT M760 rear mech on my old bike (with LX shifters) was much smoother. If I can't get it to shift smoothly, I was going to try tracking down a M960 myself - maybge even haord a couple as you suggest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Interesting. I've heard people rave about the M960 - moreso than the M970. I've got a low normal XTR M970 med cage running with a rapid-fire XT M770 shifter, and it's pretty darn clunky no matter how hard I try to tune it.

My low normal XT M760 rear mech on my old bike (with LX shifters) was much smoother. If I can't get it to shift smoothly, I was going to try tracking down a M960 myself - maybge even haord a couple as you suggest.
    I just have a couple. They are rebuildable and pretty easy to work on for cleaning and re-lube. The only difference between the med and long cage derailleurs are the inner/outer plates.

I concur on your assessment of the M970 being more clunky. It could be in my head though.

On the M960, I've only managed to break an inner plate, even after wrapping my chain all around the derailleur. $20 later (inner plate from Shimano via the LBS), I'm up and running again with that same derailleur.

Regarding the obsolescence of 9 speed cassettes. I can still buy 6 and 7 speed freewheel cassettes for my 80's road bike. I think I'll be ok.

tk

mtbr member
    Started using Low Normal rear der in 2000 but with gripshifts and liked it had to get used to "Backwards" shifting. But it felt smoother/faster than "reg rear der.
    . In 2003 bought a Klein Palomino with dual-control levers. REALLY hated it when I first got the bike, I was used to using Gripshift for 8 years. In no short time I got to REALLY like the dualcontrol levers and still use them. Installed 970 levers and 970 rear der. on my Maverick,SWEET!! You can upshift/downshift a couple of gears in a row. My old 960's only upshift two gears in a row, but downshift only one at a time. I went with 960's on my newer bike to save a little weight.
    From what I've seen about dual controls, you either love'em or hate'em. Good luck!I
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!