mtbr member

Anyone Running a 22/36/bashring on XTR M970 Cranks?

First question is:
    is anyone running the 22/36 combo (do they make a 36T middle chainring?)

Second, how is the upshifting performance from the 22 -> 36?

Thx,

mtbr member
    There is a 22/36T specific SLX M665 crankset. I have one and the shifting is perfect.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a XTR M970 specific 36T chain ring but the SLX may fit. They are both 104mm. BCD. It is quite cheap at about $40. It's not fancy like the XTR, just plain aluminum.

I've also fitted a E-13 bashring onto a XT crankset with two rings and it should fit just as well on XTR.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    as said above no shimano doesnt make a M970 carbon/Ti ring in a 36T but any 104BCD will just fine

mtbr member
    thanks y'all !!

Old school BMXer
    Hey Andy (former white Tazer owner here )
    I used to use an FSA 36, but now I'm using a Saint 36. BTW, keep the 32. For some rides, the 32 gives a better gear ratio. For example, on my SlopeStyle, I hate riding it at Gooseberry Mesa with the 36, because I end up in either the granny ring or the second ring for most of the ride, and it just doesn't feel right - high chain tension, too - I just don't like it. The 32 is much nicer, and I use a Shimano 32 bash guard. For Snow Summit, though, the 36 goes back on with the E13 guard as shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Hey Andy (former white Tazer owner here )
    I used to use an FSA 36, but now I'm using a Saint 36. BTW, keep the 32. For some rides, the 32 gives a better gear ratio. For example, on my SlopeStyle, I hate riding it at Gooseberry Mesa with the 36, because I end up in either the granny ring or the second ring for most of the ride, and it just doesn't feel right - high chain tension, too - I just don't like it. The 32 is much nicer, and I use a Shimano 32 bash guard. For Snow Summit, though, the 36 goes back on with the E13 guard as shown.
    I agree with you. I tend to ride mostly on the 36T but when I have to drop onto the 22T the gap is too large. It's even worse when changing up to the 36T. It is then often necessary to gear down one or two ratios on the back. On my next bike which will be a 29", I'll run a two ring 22/32T.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.