mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Any XTR Pedal users out there???

I have 2 pairs and have experianced a couple of unexpected releases, once or twice with an old pair of shoes with new cleats and the other time with brand new shoes and new cleats.

Anybody else had any issues?

HNY all.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I would try tightening the adjustment screw a bit more maybe. That remedied any of the unwanted releases I had with my 540's. I plan on picking up the new XTR pedals next week though. They look pretty sweet. Aside from the release issues your having, how do they perform?
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well, from where Shimano sets the adj. right out of the box, which is right in the middle of the adj. range. I backed them off 3 clicks and they still have a very positive engagement requiring a good push to get in. Release also requires a good twist to get out.

Both entry & release require more effort than any of the several pairs of Eggbeaters or Times that I've had in the past. I'm only going back to SPD's because they have addressed the mud-clearing issues the old pedals had (747's) and the cleat/shoe/pedal-interface rocking side to side thing some complained about (959's). Not to mention that having to rebuild Eggbeaters YEARLY sucks. - Sure do miss the weight of them though.

I'm thinking/hoping that because the XTR's are new they need some breaking in, along with the cleats. I'll keep this thread posted as I put some more rides in on them.

HNY all!

mtbr member

cleats

check to make sure that you have the single release cleats... The single release cleats are 51's if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

As far as I know.....

.....that's all Shimano ships pedals with. But I will double check.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Had mine about six weeks, no problems with unexpected releases. Ive left the adjustment as it is out of the box, they were very tight to start with but are breaking in nicely. No problems coping with the UK mud so far and its been really wet last couple of weeks.
    I am getting a slight clicking sensation from a bit of vertical movement of the cleat in the pedal on one side, something my 858's suffered from, anyone else get this? My shoes are really old though.
    Other very minor niggles are;
    you cant use a spanner to install/remove them, allen key only. So if you mullah that your stuck.
    And the left, right and tighten direction markings are on the pedal main body rather than stamped on the shaft, and look like they wear off pretty quick.
    Oh and they looked so nice in the box it seemed a shame to bolt them to the bike and start stamping on them!

mtbr member
    May 2006

XTR Pedals

I have had 858, 959 and now 970.

The wear between the pedal and shoe will cause 'free' up and down movement between the pedal and shoe sole.

If you go new shoes and cleats this will be solved - until you ride another 3000km on them!

It is still better than servicing the bearings/bushes every 500km like my mate has to do with his egg beaters.

Ride and smile.

Chaser.